Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided I like tube setting......

Default Decided I like tube setting......

I always enjoy seeing other members work so thought I would add some of my own work.

Bizarrely, despite having done quite a lot of stone setting over the last few years I never tube set anything until very recently.
    Having discovered how quick it is and how many sizes of tube are available has meant I can add a lot more stones in far less time than if I had to make a bezel or claw for each one so I rather went to town on this piece....

3.4ct pipe wood fossil boulder opal from Australia surrounded by a mix of sapphires, diamonds,spessartite,garnets and zircon with a morganite drop.
    All set in 9ct yellow and white gold.
    Ive called it 'Cascade'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cascadependantcrop.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	11117 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cascadeonbust2crop.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	11118

That's really dressy. Lovely. Dennis.

Oooh Sarah - that's fab!! I have to confess that I'm not an opal gal - they've never done it for me, but I really like that, and how the gemstones pick out the colours so well.

I'm also a big fan of rubover settings, not just because they're so quick and secure, but because I just like how they look.

I love the way the design flows down to the drop

Thanks very much Dennis, George and TDA20.
    George, how can you not love opals Im an addict, I just can't resist them lol.
    Ive actually been trying to make some pieces with other cabochons but its hard for me to find anything I like nearly as much, so far I have a couple of Candeleria Turquoise and one Labradorite piece made and have a really nice Pietersite cabochon to make something with but most of the other stones I ordered were disappointing.
    Mind you thats the problem with having to order online...
    Last edited by enigma; 07-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.

That is striking, I am a opal fan also, I have lots of nice stone I hope, just have cut them, dug them out of the ground nearly 12 months ago,
    I have just been asked to make a hand fasting ring from silver with opal

I like how you've matched the colours in the opal with the tube set stones. Although i had no intention of doing any stone setting, i do love the look of tube set stones and how you can place them anywhere that it's something I might now try in the future.

Thanks Bob and Sheen
    Would love to see them when you get them done, Bob, how cool to find your own opals.
    You should try it Sheen, its the easiest type of setting, you just need to make sure you get the right size tube and cut your seat the right size.

That is beautiful. I really love how you've picked out the colours from the opal with the other stones and the cascading design is just lovely.

Somewhere in a box in my attic I've got a piece of rock that I brought home from Australia 20 years ago that's got a slash of opal running down it, I must go up and find it as I'm pretty sure my memory of it might might be better than the real thing. I can always remember my mum saying that she loved opals but she would never wear one as they were bad luck - but that's probably due to how difficult they can be to set!

Tube setting is on my list to try sometime - I've got a workshop class booked next weekend but I'm pretty much left to get on with whatever I've got in mind with the option to call for help, maybe I'll have a go at it then.

Thanks misspond

You should go and dig that piece of opal out, opal is great fun to carve and polish as its so soft- not that I did this one myself but I have done a couple of carvings.
    They aren't that bad to set really as you know how careful you have to be and at least they are generally cabochons so they sit still lol.