Thread: teaching engraving classes

Default teaching engraving classes

Hi!
    Im Elinor, I havent been active on this forum for a long time (traveling and studying...).
    I need help from the hand engravers in the group (not machine engravers sorry...)
    I studied a year ago Florentine Style Engraving in Florence and now Im back home and the manager of the school I went to asked me if I can pass a course on it, yay! and yikes! I never taught and Im still improving my skills.. but this is a great opportunity and I do remember how I was taught and I think I can create a 50 hour course that will teach them the basics...

Now I need to make a presentation and would love if any of you can help me out so I can make the most out of this class...
    I need to teach them how to make their own tools, if you have any special pointers (my teacher were italian so I didnt get half of what they were saying lol)
    I need to write about what is engraving and to build the class itinerary.
    also any advice and pointers will be very helpful!

my idea was to devide it like this:
    1st class - make tools
    2nd-3rd - lines and circles
    4th-8th - first image on a flat sheet of metal (if they finish fast make a second one)
    9th-11th/12th - 3D design either their own ring or a leaf and flower that i will provide

thank you in advance!
    Elinor!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17504547_1739367653042659_3822246144934104632_o.jpg  

Hi Elinor and welcome back. Hand engraving could soon be a lost skill. James Miller is our expert on engraving and hopefully he will see this and respond. Here is one of his charts on preparation of gravers: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...paring+gravers Dennis.

Thank you dennis!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Elinor and welcome back. Hand engraving could soon be a lost skill. James Miller is our expert on engraving and hopefully he will see this and respond. Here is one of his charts on preparation of gravers: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...paring+gravers Dennis.
    Still hoping he will respond to this post.. im not sure about the rules of this forum is it weird if i send him a private message?
    Thank

It has only been a couple of days, although there is no reason not to send him a private message

Hi Elinor,
    May I suggest you get a copy of this book, Engraving on Precious Metals, by A.Brittain & P. Morton see; http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9780719800221 as this was the book that I learnt a lot from when I was starting engraving some 56 years ago. It explains the preparation of gravers and their use very well in simple drawings. It would be an asset to get you started on teaching the skills.

James

Thank you very much! I'll check it out. I see they do international shipping so thats good
    Elinor

Thanks from me also James, I am starting to play with hand engraving, although I have top notch engraver (originally from London) who I use I would like to able to do at least some things myself