Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver will not melt!

Default Silver will not melt!

Hi all sorry to post again but I’m so confused!
    I have a propane/butane mix torch which gets up to 1300 degrees. I ordered some chemically refined fine silver and popped 13g of it into my crucible to melt with a pinch of flux once the crucible had heated up enough.
    The silver begins to melt, it turns red and glows but then goes white and stodgy and no matter how long I keep the heat on it, it doesn’t get any more liquid enough for me to pour!
    My torch melted silver before hand so I cannot fathom out why it’s not working?!
    I have made sure to only use 100% silver as I worried last time I tried and it didn’t work was because I may have used something stamped 925 but may not have been. I don’t think that’s the issue now as the silver iv tried melting today is 999% pure but also won’t melt! Any advice please? Thank you

Temperature is not the same as heat. Everything you say points to the torch not providing enough heat for the quantity of metal.
    Going on is not productive and exhausts the flux.
    Try it with a small amount of metal and it will melt OK. Unless you change to a hotter torch altogether, two torches will double the heat output.
    Also remember the hottest part of the flame is just outside the tip of the blue cone. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Temperature is not the same as heat. Everything you say points to the torch not providing enough heat for the quantity of metal.
    Going on is not productive and exhausts the flux.
    Try it with a small amount of metal and it will melt OK. Unless you change to a hotter torch altogether, two torches will double the heat output.
    Also remember the hottest part of the flame is just outside the tip of the blue cone. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I tried to melt just 9g of silver but had the same issue. i would not melt. Can you recommend a torch that should give a sufficient heat to melt larger quantity of silver (20g ect)
    Thank you!

No, something is decidedly wrong and for the moment I'm stuck. Maybe someone else will have the answer. Are you working somewhere draughty that cools it down? You need generous amounts of borax and when melted the surface of the metal appears to spin. Dennis.

Have you coated your crucible with borax to form a glass like finnish

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Have you coated your crucible with borax to form a glass like finnish
    Hi xx yes I had x

As said above all points to not enough heat, 20g is getting up there for a small butane torch, aside from using a hotter torch e.g. oxy/fuel gas are you able to build a small enclosure from insulating bricks even just three side sides will help retain the heat

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Thanks Dennis, I tried to melt just 9g of silver but had the same issue. i would not melt. Can you recommend a torch that should give a sufficient heat to melt larger quantity of silver (20g ect)
    Thank you!
    Hi,

I am not suggesting that the following setup is what you need, but it is the setup I use and never had a problem with casting. I have melted 30g (925) silver using the Sievert in the 2" Scorifier but now have a larger one I bought on eBay and have no problem melting 40 - 50g (925) silver with the same Sievert.

Also note: 999 Silver has a higher melting point than 925 Sterling silver!
    Melting points: 999 Fine silver: 962°C | 925 Sterling silver: 893°C

My setup:

1. Torch: Sievert-Professional-Torch-Kit-prcode-999-AKZ1
    2. Scorifier 2" Square:Scorifier-2-Square-prcode-999-AKP&query=999%20AKP&channel=uk
    3. Burner: Sievert-Burner-3941-22mm-General-prcode-999-ALD&query=999%20ALD&channel=uk
    4. Burner Neck (Needed to fit burner): Sievert-Neck-Tube-3511-prcode-999-ATY
    5. I also bought the longer neck (3509) to keep my hand further away...(it got warm near the scorifier): http://www.cousinsuk.com/product/neck-tubes-sievert
    6. Propane Gas: http://www.calor.co.uk/3-9kg-propane-gas-bottle.html

[QUOTE=handmadeblanks;99562]Hi,

I am not suggesting that the following setup is what you need, but it is the setup I use and never had a problem with casting. I have melted 30g (925) silver using the Sievert in the 2" Scorifier but now have a larger one I bought on eBay and have no problem melting 40 - 50g (925) silver with the same Sievert.

Also note: 999 Silver has a higher melting point than 925 Sterling silver!
    Melting points: 999 Fine silver: 962°C | 925 Sterling silver: 893°C

Thank you handmadeblanks!
    Because the Sievert torches are rather pricey and i cant afford them at the moment (Currently paying off things for our wedding in 3 months) I wondered if a Bernzomatic Propane % MAP gas torch might do the trick? It seems a bit more affordable at £50 from screwfix and iv been told MAP gas burns hotter then propane and butane.
    I had built myself a little enclosure with fire bricks hoping to keep heat in but to no avail.
    I dont want to give up im determined to do this!

Your £50 Bernzomatic is significantly less capable than this - https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-blow-t...torch-kit.html (I have both...)
    Up-front cost of gas will be higher, but the run time on the little cylinders is quite low, so it'll recoup fast.

Later, you can add more nozzles for different work. There's no need to go over to MAPP for melting small amounts of silver - air/propane is more than enough, although boxing in the heat is a worthwhile move.