Thread: Aligning thick wire of ring band

Default Aligning thick wire of ring band

Okay, i think i'm going to be told i'm doing this one all wrong but here goes. I made a ring out of one piece of 1.8mm wire. Knotted at the front with ends brought round to the back round a mandrel. What is the best way to get the wires running parallel to each other (not gappy). Usually i spend ages fiddling about bending with a pair of pliers till they are aligned. Couldn't coil the wire because of the knotting at the front. Any ideas how to sort the ring below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180405_131504_HDR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	11095
    Last edited by Sheen; 05-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.

For soldering do you mean?
    If so its probably a job for binding wire.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    For soldering do you mean?
    If so its probably a job for binding wire.
    No i don't use solder on this one as it holds it's own shape.

Ah ok, pliers then in that case I would think, although for me personally I would find the ends uncomfortable unless soldered in place and filed but I guess you want to keep it adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Ah ok, pliers then in that case I would think, although for me personally I would find the ends uncomfortable unless soldered in place and filed but I guess you want to keep it adjustable?
    Its pretty hopeless, but you could try binding wire, or copper wire until they are just right and then anneal to reduce the tension. Of course it will be soft then.

Another way involves a ring stretcher. Start with it under sized and soft. Tie with very thin wire and stretch to size. It will be hard and close. Dennis

Hi all, i decided to try aligning the wire with pliers again (would use a ring stretching if i had one) but this time using flat nosed pliers (instead of chain nose) and it went much better and this is the result. I have considered in the future that i could cut across the wire then solder the ends together but i quite like the way it looks as one flowing piece. It's a commision so will be interesting to see if the guy finds it uncomfortable to wear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180405_193523_HDR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	11096