Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This one's riveting

That opens the door to cup burrs for the perfect domes. 'Oh', said my tutor, 'you've got a bobbeler'

Unfortunately I think you would want a small selection, as the size the dome will turn out is unpredictable. Too big a cup and its rim makes nasty marks on the backplate. Dennis.

Love the ring Sheen, really nice use of a bead and that's an interesting and sympathetic setting. Can't help with any advice though, rivets aren't something I've tried yet.

Nice rings Sheena really like the style. i'm doing a lot of riveting just now and I like to work the rivet into the design and be part of it rather than sitting flush. I prefer the see the obvious workings of cold connections as opposed to the clean finish of soldered joints. I'm trying to be not quite so obsessive about finish!

Thanks caroline and misspond, being on the forum i'm gaining confidence that my designs have some merit and are not just odd.

Dennis you're going to fill my cupboards up with tools...though you are filling my mind with knowledge and that's very good indeed.

Nice ring Sheen.
    For some reason I hate riveting and I honestly don't know why as it always works out ok when I actually do it.

Maybe it's the thought of having to get all the holes lined up? I had to do a lot of measuring and rechecking for this one. It would have been easier to solder but then how would i have got my bead to stay put?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Nice ring Sheen.
    For some reason I hate riveting and I honestly don't know why as it always works out ok when I actually do it.
    It's like me and setting Sarah, another of those practice and then it becomes natural. I've been doing riveting both decorative and functional for 40 years now and I sometimes still get it wrong:/

Forgot to ask where do you buy your 1.0mm silver tube dennis? I take it you bought your punches from a hardware store does it matter what size the nail head ones are? I have found a 1/8" and a 1/16" one; i think it was.

Yes its a similar thing I guess as both require considerable care and attention in the setting up phase.
    It took me a long time to accept that if the setting wasn't 100% right it was no good trying to make it work when it came to setting the stone
    Riveting doesn't have the same satisfaction for me at the end though as a really well set stone, somehow although in this case Sheen has managed to marry the two lol.