Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatings from North Lanarkshire.

It was a long time ago. Before mobile phones and the internet.

To be fair though you're asking about a machine you've found, with makers plates, and then arguing with yourself about whether its important after a year of lurking on a jewellery forum. And then getting a bit shirty about things you've made in the past, almost as though you're dismissive about jewellery and just trying to find out about the machine you've got. If that's the case, just ask about the machine. You've had an answer, call Millbro - they didn't die in the 70's, they still make motors that could be used for jewellery or dentistry.

Please feel free to point out where I'm supposedly getting 'Shirty' and arguing with myself.? And to be honest with you i don't think you're being fair at all. In fact 'Shirty' would be the word i would associate mostly with your post and that's me being polite.

I'm trying to find out a date for the Milbro one i have as i've yet to see one that appears new with the Milbro nameplate. Sorry i may have spoiled your day with my questions.

As for the welding rod bracelets i made in the past. It never really dawned on me that what i was making at that time was jewellery. I worked as a tin basher making stuff from steel plate and in my spare time i would fashion these things just because 1, the materials were at my disposal, 2, the company was closing and we had loads of free time before it closed and 3rd, I could.

It was so long ago 30 years that i actually forgot i had made them until someone asked about my attempts at Jewellery making. I wasn't being dismissive of the art at all. More dismissive of my own attempts. I'm well aware of the skill involved.
    Last edited by Stevie777; 07-04-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Hi Steve, and Tess. What are you making?
    Deb
    Hi Deb,

Will try and lighten the mood by telling you about my attempts at jewellery making!
    I’m a total beginner so have been practicing piercing and soldering with copper rings and pendants. Other than the one silver ring I made on the one day course that got me hooked on the hobby, none of the pieces are finished to a “show and tell” level yet. Have been waiting until they are photo worthy to post but perhaps I should just take some “in progress” pics to get some finishing advice from you all.

Tess

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Hi Deb,

Will try and lighten the mood by telling you about my attempts at jewellery making!
    I’m a total beginner so have been practicing piercing and soldering with copper rings and pendants. Other than the one silver ring I made on the one day course that got me hooked on the hobby, none of the pieces are finished to a “show and tell” level yet. Have been waiting until they are photo worthy to post but perhaps I should just take some “in progress” pics to get some finishing advice from you all.

Tess
    Will start a new thread once I’ve taken some pics...

What am I missing? did some posts get deleted?

Cool pics Steve, thanks for sharing, I can't imagine they were easy to bend ?

Very easy to bend, just apply heat. Same principle as platting hair. The neat trick is in the hammering though. once you have the platting all done just heat them every 3 inches until red hot and keep hammering. The more you hammer the tighter the weave gets.

btw, the pics ain't mine, they were the closest pics I could find to the ones i used to make. I also made a few snake ones from thinner rods for the upper arm. Same process only you have to weld the rods end on end to make them longer.

Cheap and cheerful to make, but i always imagined you could turn a healthy profit at music festivals and the like. I simply made them because i was bored at work then gave them away to friends and family.

Some say that the devil makes work for idle hands.
    What is not always appreciated, is that boredom can be creative. For me it is. Dennis.

Stevie, the pictured bangles look amazing and I’m sure the ones you made did too. Have you decided what you are going to do with the Milbro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Some say that the devil makes work for idle hands.
    What is not always appreciated, is that boredom can be creative. For me it is. Dennis.
    Definitely. My only problem is i get bored with one project once i've completed what i set out to learn, Very quickly i move on to something else. example, I played guitar for years but always wanted to learn slap bass. I bought a bass and amp just before Christmass, Learned one song, stuck with it until i had it down to a T then and sold the bass and amp thereafter. I now have a sewing machine and some wool blankets as my next (bushshirt) project..oh wait, i've still to finish making headphones from ear defenders and the arm of my settee still needs repaired not to mention the parachord bracelets i started making.