Thread: More rings

Default More rings

As I seem to make a lot of rings I was pondering on why that is and realised it's because when they're finished I can wear and admire them!

This weekend my plan was to set at least one stone. I wasn't in the mood for tackling the faceted marquise so opted for a green kyanite bead and then figured I should do another one as well and chose an ammonite that was formed in iron pyrite I picked up recently. And when making up the shank for the kyanite realised I had just enough of that particular d-wire for a pinky ring.

Those two rings were decorated with nail varnish used on nail stamping plates as a resist so I could etch them. I had a d-shaped shank sitting in my pot that had a hammered texture and figured I could use that for the ammonite.

The bezels nearly proved to be my undoing, but I used a couple of metal removing and scratch erasing wheels and pushed the bezel edges as far as I could in terms of getting them thin and burnished down over the edges of the irregularly shaped stones.

My finishing still needs some work but I'm getting better.

Today I was still messing around with them and finally coated them in liver of sulphur and got some fabulous colours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180401_170923710.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	11080

Sadly some of that lovely colour had to go, although I'm now tempted to make another one and if I can recreate the colours with leave it as is and let the patina wear away naturally just to keep the awesome colours for a bit longer.

Here they are, gently rubbed back with the edges of the bezels highlighted as well and after a quick 10 minute tumble.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180401_172846251.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	11081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180401_180629778.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	11082

Thanks for looking!
    Deb

They’re lovely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an array of goodies. The etching gives them style. Dennis.

Thanks all - I do like a bit of etching and have been meaning to play with etched shanks for a while. Another one to go on the never ending list of things to try is etched bezel. And gold plating so that once the high spots are rubbed back the plating sits in the recesses...

Very pretty , love the shanks!