Thread: Emerald cut moissanite ring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Emerald cut moissanite ring

Hey guys, I'm still here, still learning and I feel making progress!
    Last year was really a trial by fire and I feel I really improved over the course of it, this year I am pushing to expand my comfort zone with different shapes and techniques.
    I have never set an emerald shaped stone, it always looked a bit daunting but following this year's motto (go big or go home) I gave it a poke.
    I measured a section of 1mm sheet, filed out folding scores and then pierced and files out my claws to make the collet, this seemed an easier prospect then trying to make one in wire!
    Looking at the finished article, one of the claws in just a bit crooked, I put this down to it being the first time I have fashioned this style of setting. Next time I will true up the outside of the collet before marking out! (What a plum!)
    I have been making a real attempt to get my polishing up to scratch (hohoho) and I reckon this is pretty good, that said I always seem to miss a bit of polish after clean up! I am sure you lot will spot any scratches I have not!
    The ring is done in a fluid twist, the idea of curves with straight lines appeals to me greatly.
    Well thats all I have to say, what do you lot think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180328_150655_469.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	11073

It looks good. It is probably as hard as it gets to make the octagonal collet.You can be pleased with that and with the polish too.

Since you ask, the claws still look a bit heavy to my eye. If you agree, you could partially divide them with a fine saw blade or a scorper (or both) to make them look like double claws.

A picture from the side would show us how you handled the cutaway. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 29-03-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180328_162913.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	11074

Not my greatest set of pictures! New phone camera is bit more complicated then point and click but I guess you get the idea of shape.
    I tried to shape the collet inwards in the hope it would funnel more light through the stone, I quite like the shape of the collet myself.

Regarding the double claws, that seems like a very good idea, I think I will leave this one as is but do the claws on the next one, it will be interesting to see what kind of difference it makes to the piece.
    Looking back at the pictures I see a few scratches... Oh well gives me something to do!

I think it looks great, well done.

Lovely job Sam!
    Sally

Thats lovely. Way down the line for me to get that far but id love to make something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiful ring!

I think it looks great. I am going to have to look up that method of making a setting. I haven’t had the best luck making settings from wire.

Really pretty ring, I love the asymmetric setting on the shanks.
    Hazel