Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting

Default Casting

Hi everyone.
    I’ve just started casting silver and have had all the problems that other members have mentioned. Not enough heat and getting the silver melted only for it to solidify as I started the pour. Flame too close or too far away apparently. Finally found that sweet spot and managed the pour only to find there wasn’t enough silver. Melted it down and added more silver and had my first success.😀 I used a button for the impression into delft clay and soldered a loop onto the back and have it as a key ring. I have noticed some tiny pits in the back but not sure what caused this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7B0F6332-4E97-43EA-A839-5E9F8DF07829.jpg  

You did very well and as far as i can see by screwing up my eyes It's a piece to be proud of.

In delft clay casting, the metal is only introduce by gravity, so you can expect the odd air or gas bubble. If you want it more perfect you need a centrifugal machine and a vacuum pump.

A close up picture would be a bonus. Dennis.

Pits can be porosity caused by overheating the metal.

Sorry Dennis. Is this better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 88DBBFB3-562E-4956-AC87-E58152E68942.jpg  

Much. I can see he's a friendly sort of chap. I wouldn't mind him on my key ring. Dennis.

Glad you like him. I can’t justify the expense of the machinery you mention as I am really only using my scrap silver. I am retired and do the silver work for fun not professionally. Thanks for the encouragement it is much appreciated.

Kells, I think your owl is fab and has come out really well.

I really like that...it has come out very well
    I have just been watching one of Andrew Berry's videos on cuttlefish casting he explains about making sure the silver has reached correct temperature as it is easy to miss judge....really worth a look.

Thanks for all the positive feedback folk. I’ve watched Andrew Berry (he’s very good) but its still a bit trial and error when you first start. I’ve only cast silver in delft clay but I have cast pewter using cuttlefish. The pewter, having a lower melting point doesn’t make the cuttlefish smell so bad.

I'm still to try casting myself really looking forward to trying it...I take it you prefer the clay What are the pros and cons of each ?