Thread: Unsticking a pearl....and thanks.

Default Unsticking a pearl....and thanks.

Firstly thanks for all the advice I had on making a bezel. To my astonishment I succeeded and the family can’t tell which Amber cabochon earring is my effort!
    Now I would like to know how to unglue (what glue I don’t know, but it was not done very neatly) a singleton pearl earring. I want to use the pearl as the centre of a pendant.
    Ruedeleglise aka David Lindy.

If you soak the pearl in hot water this will (probably) soften the glue sufficiently for you to remove it.

If not, stand a little hand torch somewhere with the small and soft. Grasp the pearl with a thin damp cloth or tissue an the metal work with pliers.
    Keep them under tension as you approach the flame and heat only the metal until they part.

The glue should give way lon before the pearl suffers. Dennis.

Right I will start with the hot water treatment and progress if necessary to the “flame thrower” Will report back.

1 hour later.....soaked in hot water. Certainly cleaned it but couldn’t shift the pin. Gentle heat with pliers and a twist....out it came without any struggle. Think the hot water probably softened the glue and the heat completed the separation. Brilliant thanks both of you. Now what to do with one rather small pearl?
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 27-03-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Go to your hardware store (or amazon) and buy superglue remover gel for next time. It will dissolve the glue and not damage the pearl
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Acetone (super glue remover) won't work with epoxy, you will need to use the heat method

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Right I will start with the hot water treatment and progress if necessary to the “flame thrower” Will report back.

1 hour later.....soaked in hot water. Certainly cleaned it but couldn’t shift the pin. Gentle heat with pliers and a twist....out it came without any struggle. Think the hot water probably softened the glue and the heat completed the separation. Brilliant thanks both of you. Now what to do with one rather small pearl?
    I'm glad you solved your problem, but I would suggest you don't twist wires that might be stuck, because they are likely to shear of and be left inside, giving you more bother. Dennis.

Ha ha, my post yesterday was full of typos and difficult to follow. I wasn't on the sherry, but was late going out. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Ha ha, my post yesterday was full of typos and difficult to follow. I wasn't on the sherry, but was late going out. Dennis.
    Still understood you! Thanks for your warning. Lucky this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree Dennis. You can often free the base of the pearl but not the pin. Then if you twist the pearl you'll break off the pin and it will be stuck inside the pearl.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk