Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durston Metal Bending Set

Default Durston Metal Bending Set

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999_7162_12.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	11066

Does anyone have one these tools that can advise if it bends 5mm round silver wire?
    I'm having a nightmare trying to bend this with the ring bending pliers, so need something more substantial.
    I know this machine has been discussed on here before, but i can not find it, so I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Sue

Oh, and I want to bend it into a ring for the finger.

Thanks

5mm round wire is extremely thick for a ring, are you sure you want to use wire that thick?
    Its going to feel rather uncomfortable to wear.

Hi Enigma. That's exactly what I said to the lady, but she assured me that this is to replace a 5mm ring that she lost, so I'm assuming she's right...

Making a finger ring, which might be 17-20 mm in internal diameter, becomes progressively more difficult as you increase the thickness of the material. What you propose is close to the limit of what is possible by bending.

So first I would make a shank in 5.0mm copper wire for her to try, because she has more than likely got it wrong and you will suffer for it. Annealed copper is very soft, so you won't have so much of a problem, even though you might have to anneal it several times.

Next although the Durston might do the job, again with lots of annealing, it is an expensive option and over the top for most rings.

If the size is confirmed as correct, you could consider making it in wax and having it cast. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 24-03-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Are you sure she means 5mm round?
    5mm D shape would be more usual , I wonder if she's confused?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Are you sure she means 5mm round?
    5mm D shape would be more usual , I wonder if she's confused?
    Hi both. I’m definitely going to make a copper one first. I have some in that thickness, so I’ll send that to her to try on.
    I once had someone who tried to convince me to make a 6mm round ring and it turned out to be 6x2 d shape wire.
    Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're welcome, customers can be strange creatures at times lol

I have one of the Durston ring benders (although it has a different base to your picture). The thickest round wire I've bent on it is 3.5mm - I think 5mm would be a real struggle. As everyone has said, 5mm would also be really uncomfortable to wear! I would carve one out of wax and send it to your customer to try.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I have one of the Durston ring benders (although it has a different base to your picture). The thickest round wire I've bent on it is 3.5mm - I think 5mm would be a real struggle. As everyone has said, 5mm would also be really uncomfortable to wear! I would carve one out of wax and send it to your customer to try.
    Thanks for the reply Lauren. I just think I’m not going to go thicker than 4mm. Do you think the Durston tool has been worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk