Thread: mixing pitch(es?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default mixing pitch(es?)

Just wondering about mixing my Cookson's chasers' pitch with the red stuff from Germany.
    That should be okay, shouldn't it?
    Has anyone ever tried?

I presume this is because you are trying to fill a box or bowl for chasing. My suggestion would be to make a base layer with one and cover it with the other, rather than try to mix them. Dennis.

I have mixed pitches - but it was so long ago I can't remember what they were other than to say that I started with a really stinky, hard black pitch, wanted something a bit softer and now have a layer of softer, red, nicer to use and less stinky pitch on top!
    Sally

If they're both the same basic components - e.g. pine resin based - it should be OK.
    If one is bitumen and the other pine, then no, that's not going to work. I'd not even layer them in that case.

Default Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    If they're both the same basic components - e.g. pine resin based - it should be OK.
    If one is bitumen and the other pine, then no, that's not going to work. I'd not even layer them in that case.
    Thanks v much for the replies.
    I have Cookson's chasers' pitch and was thinking about adding the red pine pitch.
    The problem is I've been attempting to chase a cup which meant filling it with what's in the bowl.
    To work from the inside I needed to take this out but at the moment need to reuse it . I just don't have enough.
    Maybe I'll just have to wait until Cookson's get a supply.
    If I ever buy again I won't use this.