Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pendant motor or micro motor?

Default Pendant motor or micro motor?

I was going to purchase a pendant motor soon having 'made do' with a Dremel for years (even though I used a pendant motor years ago which I preferred) but now I'm wondering whether I should buy a micro motor instead for a few ££s more? Just wondered if a micro motor is better than a pendant motor in terms of being more user friendly and effective, or whether it doesn't make that much difference. Obviously I just want to use it for the usual things - mainly removing sprues from castings, polishing and sanding as well as some wax carving maybe. I'd be interested in your views before I buy anything! Thank you.

For the pendant motors the Milbro and the Foredom are favourites, Lucy. They need a hook to hang from, but are easy to add a hammer handpiece for texturing and stone setting later. Some handpiece4s have collets for shank sizes other than the standard 2.3mm.

Micro motors are more compact and sit on the bench. The motor is in the hand piece and they mostly take only standard shanks. Additional hammer handpieces are not on offer except for the dearest ones and are a very expensive option.They are chosen for their sophistication and lightness, and they can start at under £100 for the marathon from China.

Here is a recent Thread discussing this:http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9135 Dennis.

Thank you for your recommendations and link to the previous thread Dennis. I thought a micromotor was a step up from a pendant motor, but maybe that's not the case necessarily. I might be better off with a pendant anyway in terms of versatility without having to spend a huge amount of money. I seem to change my pendant wheels a lot and seem to have collected a variety of size shanks so it would be a bit annoying to have to change the collets over a lot, so I could do with a handpiece that could accommodate a larger variety of shanks in one if such a thing exists! I'll have a look around. The Foredom isn't as pricey as I thought it might be - I remember looking at the Milbro and Foredom motors a few years ago which seemed to be more pricey and I felt like I couldn't justify buying one of them, as been as I wouldn't be using it everyday.

Well as far as I know, to accommodative different shanks, you either need to have different collets, or have a handpiece with an adjustable chuck, operated by a key.

Unless you enjoy fiddling with machinery it might be preferable to standardise your shanks for a quick release handpiece. That's how it is for me anyhow. Hope you will find something just right for you. Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-03-2018 at 03:13 PM.

I love my Foredom micromotor and it's auto release. It light weight to use and move about but as I've said before I really needed the hammer handpiece and it was a present. It would cost the same again to buy so I'd probably be cheaper buying a pendant with cheaper versatility or do without as I always have.

I only have the pendant motor so can't compare as Ive never tried a micro motor.
    The main thing for me was that you can add the hammer handpiece for not too much more with the pendant motor.
    I like it a lot and pretty much use it every day, sometimes for several hours.
    You can buy most items with the right size collet for a Foredom so its not really a problem that it has one size.
    You can get a quick change handpiece so its easy to change from one tool to another of the same shank size.

Thank you for your thoughts. I must admit that it never occurred to me when I started looking at the pendant motors and micro motors that I'd ever want to have a hammer hand piece but having looked on various websites comparing what 'motors' are on offer and the prices and watching a few youtube video clips last night, it's made me rethink and certainly the hammer hand piece would be a great addition to have at some point. It seems like the Foredom pendant motor with auto release handpiece would be a good quality place to start giving versatility without breaking the bank if I wanted to add to it. Tempting to go for a micro motor but I'd be excited to have a pendant motor after struggling with a Dremel! I bought the Dremel 4000 with the flexible shaft a few months ago to replace a different model I was using to see what it was like as it was only about £55 on offer but it's too frustrating to use - seems to take forever to get much done with it. Thanks for your advice everyone - it's been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I only have the pendant motor so can't compare as Ive never tried a micro motor.
    The main thing for me was that you can add the hammer handpiece for not too much more with the pendant motor.
    I like it a lot and pretty much use it every day, sometimes for several hours.
    You can buy most items with the right size collet for a Foredom so its not really a problem that it has one size.
    You can get a quick change handpiece so its easy to change from one tool to another of the same shank size.
    Hi Enigma,

I realise we're a couple of years on from this thread now but I'd love a recommendation from you if possible.

I'm currently looking to buy a pendant motor but need it both for polishing AND would love for it to be suitable for a hammer handpiece too

There is so much information out there and everyone has differing opinions so I can't quite get my head around it.

If I buy a foredom SR will this be suitable for both tasks of too high speed for the hammer handpiece? Or vice versa- if I buy the foredom LX will I be losing out on polishing speed?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

We haven’t heard from Sarah for many months since the pandemic shut us down and she lives In Portugal I think.
    It would be worth trying a search on here as there have been many many postS on the subject which will probably answer your question

I have a NSK micromotor and I love it but..... I would buy a Foredom or equivalent pendant motor again before another micromotor they are more useful the micromotor is awesome for stone setting and small polishing jobs but when you need to cut off sprues or move or polish lots of metal its not the right tool for the job in my opinion, it lacks the torque of the pendant motor . So in conclusion, I would go with the pendant motor before a micromotor if you don't already own a pendant motor