Thread: Setting Question

Default Setting Question

Hi everyone

So I've been making jewellery for over a year now (a lot of lost wax casting) and i've been playing with stone setting for a few months - I've mastered standard bezels, gypsy/flush settings and prong ...

I spotted the attached image on Pinterest and I can't get it out of my mind. I absolutely LOVE how the stones are set but i can't for the life of me work out how it's done. I assume it's a sort of bezel/gypsy .. with the edge of the setting hammered down to tension set the stone? Am I talking rubbish here? Anyone able to shed some light on this wizardry? I want to create myself a new engagement ring (I lost the stone in the one my hubby proposed with ;() and whilst I don't plan on copying the style below (not about to rip this artist off - also, anyone know who said artist is??) I would love to try a similar way of setting my stone.

Thanks all!

Leighna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 18.40.13.jpg  

Its just a normal bezel setting with a wider than normal bezel pushed over roughly in a different coloured metal from what I can see ?

Thinking I may need to invest in a Foredom hammer handpiece in that case .. not sure I’d have the skill to set such a heavy heel with punch and hammer by hand ��

If you do the bezel in 0.4mm fine silver you would be fine, it doesn't look particularly thick, just left higher than normal before being pushed over, you wouldn't need a hammer just a bezel pusher.
    Be careful when you do push it over to do it gently and evenly as a bezel that starts out high will push over too easily and catch you out.
    BTW you can put the ridges in with a file afterwards, just make sure you don't go too deep for the metal you use.
    This is a bezel I made with ridges , it only takes a few minutes to do:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twigring2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	11070
    Last edited by enigma; 24-03-2018 at 11:28 PM.

That’s great! Thank you for your help �� and that ring looks beautiful! Will definitely give this a go x