Thread: All about platinol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All about platinol

Here's my first go using platinol. Applied with a cotton bud, undiluted, then rinsed under a hot tap. I found with the copper parts it came out silvery which is a little bit of a shame as i prefer the brown you get with los, but it's a lot easier to use than los. I rubbed it back a bit with sandpaper. When i used a pro polish pad it made it more silvery.
    A few questions for everyone: if using diluted how much by? Can you keep it diluted in a container for a long time. Can you dip with stones attached such as fluorite and labradorite etc. Is there a way to make the copper come out less silvery? Should i use bicarb to neutralise? Is there no respiratory risk with platinol?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180315_103656_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	11054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180315_103659_HDR.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	11056
    Last edited by Sheen; 15-03-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Second day of trying platinol. I discovered that the portion i had diluted the day before had gone clear in the morning and no longer worked so looks like it doesn't keep.
    I diluted the platinol with cold water a bit more today and was much more pleased with the results. I dipped them in platinol for a second or 3 and out into cold water. This gave me less of a silvery black and more of a brown toned copper. I had a few oops efforts which i will post soon.

Ps i've been using mizgeorge's description of using platinol at: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...?t=4598&page=2
    Last edited by Sheen; 16-03-2018 at 03:12 PM.

You have answered most of your questions yourself, Sheena:

All our expectations are different and the only way to go is to experiment.

My observations on your patination:
    There is some evidence of flaking, in view of the small darker patches. To me that says you need to slow the process down, by using it cold, more dilute and building up layers.

If you want to take it back in a subtle way, then a polishing cloth, or plain lint free cotton cloth would be best. No need for sand paper.
    I also think it would be enhanced by waxing. There is no need to splash out on expensive products. any household wax polish used sparingly will do, even from a spray can and finished with soft toothbrush (for the grooves) and a cloth. Dennis.

The word 'experiment' sends shivers down my spine. I'm terrible for wanting a set of detailed instructions for anything I do (my brother's the same) but i'll try my best dennis. You were right about the flaking, i used it neat on my first attempts. Will try a polishing cloth for a couple of the rings i've done. Once you've oxidised something then it's a question of how much to remove. Decision, decisions. I do happen to have some renaissance wax.☺ i'll keep posting my efforts as think it might be useful for other beginners.

Here's a few of my efforts. 1st picture: ring on left dipped twice, ring on right dipped 3 times (gone shiny black)
    2nd picture light patch i think caused by not being clean enough. 3rd picture accidently used non tarnish copper wire for main hoop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180316_182207_HDR.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	11062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180316_182612_HDR.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	11060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180316_182534_HDR.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	11061
    Last edited by Sheen; 16-03-2018 at 06:44 PM.