Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: All about platinol

Hi caroline, yes i used a lint free cotton cloth to rub them back a bit. Also tried a brass brush, a pro polishing pad and some jute/sack ribbon which also works well to remove the rainbow effect somewhat. It would be a lot easier not to have the rainbow in the first place though (as i either have to dip more or rub back a lot, some of my items are still a bit unpleasantly red looking after my efforts) i thought maybe i should try platinol diluted with distilled water and see if that helps any. Also wondered whether the temperature of the metal or water might be affecting things? I should try neat platinol too, i just felt that the copper would go very dark and peel off. But who knows

My experiment with neat platinol on a cotton bud. It works well for really dark colour on copper and silver. This is the results for other metals:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190326_095642.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	11921

It doesn't adhere at all well to the bronze.

You will get a more even colour by immersion, or using a flat synthetic brush. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You will get a more even colour by immersion, or using a flat synthetic brush. Dennis.
    Morning Dennis Any recommendation for a particular brand/type of bristle brush?

One of those flat orange ones, about4-5mmwide. Real hair and bristle tend to break up in Platinol, as does skin. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    One of those flat orange ones, about4-5mmwide. Real hair and bristle tend to break up in Platinol, as does skin. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, will hunt one down