Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All about platinol

Agree with Caroline, you definitely don't want it anywhere it will rub off onto skin or clothing.
    Im sure lots of readers will be finding your post useful even if they don't comment Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Agree with Caroline, you definitely don't want it anywhere it will rub off onto skin or clothing.
    Im sure lots of readers will be finding your post useful even if they don't comment Sheen
    Thanks enigma. I thought it would be good to have a thread with as much info about platinol as possible all in one place. Anyone want to add their own experiance of platinol feel free
    Yesterday i dipped some jewellery with peridot, garnet and labridorite attached, they were all unaffected by the platinol. I have some jewellery with pink opal but i'm definitly not going to dip them (even with the boiled egg method of oxidising metal they went a bit grey as they are rather absorbant) I still have a few more questions to ask people but will save it for another day.

Default Waxing the platinol

This last piece of jewellery came out a little varying in colour. Is this poor cleaning? I used some renaissance wax on it to protect the patina from the bead. Before and after shots pic one the metal has a silvery bloom which the wax removes but the colour and shine is very similar. Haven't cleaned the patina off the earwires but will. Dennis you say you sometimes touch up uneven patina http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...?t=4598&page=2 do you do that by sanding the area a little then using a paintbrush?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180317_185544855.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	11064
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180317_190149939.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	11063
    Last edited by Sheen; 18-03-2018 at 09:24 AM.

You can deepen it by repeating it. You can touch up small areas with a synthetic paint brush, particularly after setting stones. There is no need to rub back and I don't really understand why anyone takes sandpaper to it. It can be taken back for highlights with a silver cloth. Dennis.

I'm going to have to retouch my latest piece, it didn't really show up until the photos. I haven't even found a synthetic brush that doesn't go funny with platinol which is why I use the toothpicks or pull most of the cotton out of a cotton bud until it's really tight. They are useful for cleaning out awkward corners too, so many uses.
    I use the for highlighting http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-998-027B. because they are small and quite firm in structure you can be quite precise

I sometimes get patchy, not sure if it's grease but copper seems to be the biggest culprit . I'm not sure platinol is best for copper, I've had real problems with my copper fold form panels, flaking, patchy but as it's only a sideline I just have to accept it. It works much better on silver most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You can deepen it by repeating it. You can touch up small areas with a synthetic paint brush, particularly after setting stones. There is no need to rub back and I don't really understand why anyone takes sandpaper to it. It can be taken back for highlights with a silver cloth. Dennis.
    I think sandpaper might be the lazy person's effort. I promise to use a silver cloth from now on. I suppose i've used it thinking it would even out the colour and that if there was grease on the area it would get rid of it.

Hi caroline, i love pro polish pads. I find them great as they're so easy to use. I also love sanding sponges, it find them easier than sandpaper.
    Maybe i should accept patchy as the character of the patinated copper. I think diluted platinol does work better on copper. Though I would use LOS instead if i could tolerate the smell
    Last edited by Sheen; 18-03-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Hi caroline, i love pro polish pads. I find them great as they're so easy to use. I also love sanding sponges, it find them easier than sandpaper.
    Maybe i should accept patchy as the character of the patinated copper. I think diluted platinol does work better on copper. Though I would use LOS instead if i could tolerate the smell
    Yes diluted on copper. It maybe is just making sure that all areas are scrupulously clean to get an even finish. A customer turned down a pair of earrings at the OS, they had finials like a seed pod and one of them hadn't taken the colour as well as the rest, pretty much like nature, but that wasn't acceptable to her. Having said that she had just asked her husband's permission to spend her birthday money on earrings instead of whatever he had given it for so maybe there was a bigger issue!
    Yes love the sanding pads too, I use them for matt finish instead of anything else now and it last really well. You can choose the finish by how much the pad has worn down. More expensive than paper though so you might think about using both and using the pads for the final finish. Good for cleaning the surface before oxidising too.
    Off to listen to Johnny Walker and try and do some work, only about 6 weeks to go to the OS and I'm only just starting:/

Just watched nancy hamilton's 'cleaning metal' video on utube and how the water should sheet off the metal. I've never been able to get it to do that. I've tried using fairy liquid and a brass brass or a toothbrush and soap and gotten nowhere need to consider my next move. any tips?

Hi caroline, i'm taking in as much as i can from your feedback, it's much appreciated. It gives me ideas as to what to work on. Cleaning is an issue.
    i had a look at when the os is and where you're based to see if i could possibly make it. I'm on holiday at aberfeldy in may and found it takes me further away from yours. Oops. But i hope you have a good time! And the visitors don't give you a cracking headache.