Thread: Flush Setting Tiny Diamond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flush Setting Tiny Diamond

Hi all,

I've taken on a job that's got me wondering.

I am needing to flush set a tiny tiny diamond (<1mm) into a 9 carat gold band. I know this can be done because I took the diamond out of his grandfathers ring to set into a new one I'm making re-using the gold and stone.

My main concern is measuring and holding the stone (it's so small that if I drop it then it'll be gone forever!) and again because of the size of it I am finding it near impossible to measure it with a caliper. Is there a tool to assist with this? I am thinking a small blob of grease on the end of a pin may be best to hold it (which would in turn make it easier to measure)?

My other concern is using a burnisher on such a small hole to fold the gold over the diamond to secure it in place. I am thinking of grinding down a pick and polishing to make my own however if anyone can recommend a tool that will make the job a lot easier than I'd welcome the suggestion!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

On holding, if you have a suitable grain tool that the table just fits inside, dampen the tool with just enough water so the surface tension holds the stone. If you don't have a suitable grain tool, make one up from an old burr (grind the end flush, drill into the end a little way & form the cavity with a ball burr then grind down the outside to make it less bulky).

Similarly, for the burnisher, make one from an old burr... Snap off the burr head, use a rotary tool of some sort & a suitable abrasive to grind it to a fine ogive & polish.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    On holding, if you have a suitable grain tool that the table just fits inside, dampen the tool with just enough water so the surface tension holds the stone. If you don't have a suitable grain tool, make one up from an old burr (grind the end flush, drill into the end a little way & form the cavity with a ball burr then grind down the outside to make it less bulky).

Similarly, for the burnisher, make one from an old burr... Snap off the burr head, use a rotary tool of some sort & a suitable abrasive to grind it to a fine ogive & polish.
    Thank you Peter for your reply,

I don't have any grain tools to hand but will make something up as you have suggested. I've got a pile of old bicycle spokes kicking about that will be perfect for the job (as I don't have any old burrs either as this is only my second time setting a stone!). I'm pretty sure some of them are stainless too so they'll work well for a makeshift burnisher to save my pick for, well, picking!

Brass rod is what's recommended in Grether for shifting stones about - easier to work with than a burr, admittedly. There's a lot in that book; it's old-school and many methods are superseded but it's still good for grounding.

I shall have a look into the book you mention Peter - I'll not try google though as a quick search for "Grether book" threw up some interesting looking literature...

I'll probably use the spokes anyway as i have them kicking around and the only brass stock I have is 1" diameter and turning it down makes a hell of a mess! I guess the advantage of using brass is that, being quite soft, it is less likely to mark softer stones and / or the gold it is being set into.

Grether Technology of Setting is perhaps a safer set of search terms...

I can imagine a 1" bar might be a tad unwieldy.