Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting for work bench!

Default Lighting for work bench!

Hi all, my work bench is positioned in the darkest part of my small cottage in an old fireplace inglenook with an over hang so I need to add some artificial light. I’ve been looking at Led lights. Does anyone use Led lights are these bright enough, you can buy them with a controller so you can control the intensity and I like that they are small and will be hidden. I thought fluorescent bulbs would be too intense and the wrong colour. Also the bulb needs to not produce much heat as it will be above my head. Any advice would be great, Many thanks Kerrie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this LED bench light from Cooksons; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ght&channel=uk

My workbench with the LED lamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16  New LED bench lamp 2016.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	11024

James

Quote Originally Posted by OceanandEarth View Post
    Hi all, my work bench is positioned in the darkest part of my small cottage in an old fireplace inglenook with an over hang so I need to add some artificial light. I’ve been looking at Led lights. Does anyone use Led lights are these bright enough, you can buy them with a controller so you can control the intensity and I like that they are small and will be hidden. I thought fluorescent bulbs would be too intense and the wrong colour. Also the bulb needs to not produce much heat as it will be above my head. Any advice would be great, Many thanks Kerrie

I had 2 plug in led side lamps before i replaced my light overhead. They were fine. Positioned in front of me one at each side. I usually only used 1 aswell

Led lights are fine. You can get warm white (2700K) and for my eyes, 7Watt is just right for the working lamp which is an anglepoise.
    One rule is that the ambient light should be sufficient too, so that you don't see spots when you look around. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Led lights are fine. You can get warm white (2700K) and for my eyes, 7Watt is just right for the working lamp which is an anglepoise.
    One rule is that the ambient light should be sufficient too, so that you don't see spots when you look around. Dennis.
    Great thanks, yes ambient light isn’t great, as no window only a door opening, this is only a temporary solution, I have a plan for a more permanent solution which involves me moving into the garden thanks I will now hunt down a suitable LED light to fix up or lamp.

Thanks

Kerrie

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use this LED bench light from Cooksons; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ght&channel=uk

My workbench with the LED lamp.

Name:	16  New LED bench lamp 2016.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	11024

James
    Nice!

I've ordered the led lamp as it's dimmable so I thought it would be useful for my wonky eyes and I had a bit of prize money left and there was 10% off

My light arrived from Cookies today and it's a bit like an octopus with springs! It was almost impossible to fit the clamp to my shelves as I have overhead cabinets so a rethink was necessary after looking again at James's pic. My bench is nearly 2 ins thick so have just drilled a hole straight through to pivot and if there is wear which I doubt will put in a bit of plastic pipe. It gives great light and will also pivot round over my bench drill so it's revived 2 lamps off my bench space providing me with more room to be really untidy!
    We think there is one design fault that would have made it perfect, the light itself would have been even better on a ball joint to allow swivel in all directions instead of just back to front and up and down but still a good buy. Thanks for the suggestion James

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	11031

Caroline, this is my old fluorescent desk lamp fitting that is screwed to my bench and luckily the new LED lamp slotted into the old fitting OK, so I can swivel the new lamp when required.

Name:	16a  New LED in old bench light fitting.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	11034 this was my old lamp; Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09  Jims workbench.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	11035

James