Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking when NOT legally required

Default Hallmarking when NOT legally required

Hi there,
    This is my first post so apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but i cant find it. I plan on selling my jewellery on etsy and i wondered what peoples personal opinions were on hallmarking under 7.78g silver. I have made a pair of chunky cufflinks (3mm thick) which even with the back on fall just under 7g each. I understand they dont legally need to be hallmarked but given the price point £80-£90 I'm thinking that people would 'expect' them to be. I will have in my faq section a clear indication of what needs hallmarking and I was thinking of offering it at an extra cost for those items that fall under 7.78g but obviously what i would have to charge the customer for this would change depending on whether I have a batch of stuff already going to the assay office or not. I dont expect someone would be happy to pay an extra £20-£30 for hallmarking a one off item. Im not yet live in etsy so im toying with the idea of you sending everything i have (7.8g or otherwise) as it keeps price pe item down and stops any potential questions from a buyer. Advice?
    Thanks so much in advance,
    Emily

Hall marking improves confidence and raises the perceived value.

The added cost has to be balanced against the going price for similar items, a decision best made for yourself. Dennis.

If you can send a batch in together then absolutely yes, its worth doing.

I hallmark most of my underweight items if I'm sending in a batch anyway because I like everything hallmarked. TBH I'm not sure my customers care when I point out my work is hallmarked especially with a Scottish mark, it doesn't seem to be a selling point. Selling on etsy may be different when you are selling to a world market.
    Having pieces marked on request will become very expensive as you'll be charged minimum price for single pieces so would probably be more cost effective to have all done or not at all
    Last edited by CJ57; 08-03-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I have my Makers Mark at home and stamp my own underweight Items

I don't think its a selling point at all to the US market but if you can send a batch at a time, especially if that includes some that do need marking then its cheap enough to do

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I don't think its a selling point at all to the US market but if you can send a batch at a time, especially if that includes some that do need marking then its cheap enough to do
    That's my feeling Sarah but not everyone agrees. I just feel that if you've put so much effort into making something even if underweight then having it marked gives it a mark of quality

If I'm sending a batch into the assay office, I'll hallmark underweight items, otherwise I don't as it's too expensive to just do a couple of pieces at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by emilylisbeth View Post
    Hi there,
    This is my first post so apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but i cant find it. I plan on selling my jewellery on etsy and i wondered what peoples personal opinions were on hallmarking under 7.78g silver. I have made a pair of chunky cufflinks (3mm thick) which even with the back on fall just under 7g each. I understand they dont legally need to be hallmarked but given the price point £80-£90 I'm thinking that people would 'expect' them to be. I will have in my faq section a clear indication of what needs hallmarking and I was thinking of offering it at an extra cost for those items that fall under 7.78g but obviously what i would have to charge the customer for this would change depending on whether I have a batch of stuff already going to the assay office or not. I dont expect someone would be happy to pay an extra £20-£30 for hallmarking a one off item. Im not yet live in etsy so im toying with the idea of you sending everything i have (7.8g or otherwise) as it keeps price pe item down and stops any potential questions from a buyer. Advice?
    Thanks so much in advance,
    Emily
    Have you thought about the Assay Assured option? http://www.assayassured.co.uk/