Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking when NOT legally required

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    That sounds like a total scam to me?
    I remembered Edinburgh had sent out something a couple of years back http://www.edinburghassayoffice.co.uk/assay-assurance. I'm not sure that it makes any difference to the original question. I know the first link said large and small online businesses but then it only mentions the likes of Beaverbrooks and Clogau

That sounds like a total scam to me?
    About the Assay Assured Organisation
    Assay Assured is owned and administered by the Edinburgh Assay Office. The Edinburgh Assay Office was established by Royal Charter and our primary role has always been to guarantee the purity of precious metals.

How very bizarre!
    Bizarre in what way? Its purpose, as far as I can see, is exactly to satisfy the needs of the OP. i.e. Provide assurance to customers for jewellery items that don’t legally require hallmarking.

I suppose we speak about counterfeit and unmarked jewellery on here all the time. Perhaps it's a good idea.

The well-publicised rise of fake, counterfeit and un-hallmarked jewellery being sold online does little to build confidence amongst existing and potential online shoppers. Even for established online retailers Assay Assured can help to differentiate their online shop as being genuine and verified.

One of the first hurdles new businesses face online is obscurity; new customers are unlikely to have any previous knowledge of them, good or bad. The Assay Assured trust mark gives new online retailers independently verified credibility from the outset.

Improve Conversion

The thing is that many customers don't even know about hallmarking or understand it so I can't see this being worth £120 per year to most sellers.
    I had never heard of it so I can't imagine any of my customers have - in which case where is the value ?

I agree with obscurity being an issue Caroline, businesses used to be built on trust when people went through apprenticeships with known institutions but thats all much harder these days.
    Im just not sure this would help really.

I reckon it's for these big retail Jewellers and not businesses like yours. They need something to make it seem of great quality. I couldn't find out how much it was but to them £120 will be peanuts.
    I'm off to buy a 4cm bit of 2mm gold wire which I'm sure when I costed it for a piece in Jan was about £14 now it's £25. I thought 14 was bad but what the hell, I have my professional! light I'd better live up to it

Well at least you will be able to admire it properly under your new light

Regarding Assay Assured, from their online info;
    "Should you have any concern on receipt of your article(s) of jewellery, you should first check for a "hallmark" (see our "What is a Hallmark" page if you'd like more information on hallmarks). The hallmark provides verification that the article has been independently tested. Some smaller articles of jewellery are exempt from compulsory testing and so may not carry a hallmark.

If your concern remains, we recommend you first contact the retailer stating the nature of your concern. If you are unable to resolve your concern with one of our retailers you may report a query to Assay Assured in order to resolve the matter."

So basically they're saying, "look for the hallmark, but if the item is small it won't have one"? That does appear to be an extra layer of nothing more than something that already exists.