Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
The thing is that many customers don't even know about hallmarking or understand it so I can't see this being worth £120 per year to most sellers.
I had never heard of it so I can't imagine any of my customers have - in which case where is the value ?
It must have some value because I found many jewellers selling on eBay displaying the ‘Assay Assured’ logo. That’s what made me research it. I think it makes perfect sense for anyone selling articles below hallmarking threshold. The quantity you sell per year will determine whether the membership cost pays for itself when compared to hallmarking underweight articles. I disagree completely with making a hallmark an optional extra for customers as the OP is considering.
I’m seriously thinking about signing up but I first need to have my own website to host the certificate and my productivity right now is so low that even if I sell everything I make it wouldn’t cover the cost of membership.

@misspond:

This is the extra layer of something

Independent Verification

All precious metal jewellery offered by Assay Assured Jewellery Retailers carries the legally-required independent hallmark verifying the precious metal content (unless the item is exempt by weight). The retailer is part of a scheme of sampling and testing by Assay Assured to ensure that jewellery exempt by weight from hallmarking is also of the claimed standard - a protection over and above legal requirements.

TBH, I am surprised that people here don't seem to have heard of Assay Assured, I found it hard to miss on eBay...