Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking when NOT legally required

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post

but at least I don't own a Dremel.
    Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post

@enigma: Hallmarking is a small pecentage of a high ticket item. Any silver item weighing 7.78g or above must be Hallmarked by law, but if it weighs 7.75g then Hallmarking is offered as an optional extra...seems a bit comical.

I sell my jewellery trinkets on eBay, it helps put beans on the table for supper...I know I am not worthy of being here, but at least I don't own a Dremel.
    Im still not really following your thoughts on this.
    For me personally I hallmark everything thats over the threshold and also everything I can send as a batch.
    However I also make some items like my silver custom pendants deliberately under the weight as they would have to be marked individually when they are made and most customers wouldn't want the full one off hallmark charge nor to wait a couple of months for me to send in with a batch and get back and then send to them.
    As they are cast from the customers own photos obviously I can't keep them in stock and hallmark as a batch.
    However for some people the hallmark is important so the option is there if they want to pay the additional cost of an individual hallmark.

The Dremel comment made me laugh out loud
    But to be serious for a moment, Im sure nobody here considers you unworthy in any way,its just a different market is all hence the comments about not being aware of how the jewellery market on Ebay works.
    Last edited by enigma; 10-03-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Picking through the names of those registered, I see a particular company who *consistently* ignores hallmarking laws is on there...

Oh, and I forgot - I DO own a Dremel.
    (But I'm not entirely sure where it is)

@enigma: Yes, I see how Hallmarking an underweight item at a customers request makes sense, especially if you are making a custom order. However, offering the option on pre-made items listed on a website would IMO create a complex pricing structure that would confuse customers. For example, an underweight item that is very labour intensive would be priced higher than a simple pendant that is very easy to make but is Hallmarked because of its weight. I can't see why a customer would perceive the option of adding a Hallmark to the more expensive item as a value added service.

Also, as I tried to illustrate earlier, what happens if you have two items that are equally labour intensive but one weighs 7.9g and the other weighs 7.6g. One would be priced with Hallmarking included and the other priced with the option for Hallmarking even though the difference is a barely perceptible 0.3g.

@ps_bond: Doesn't that make a mockery of Hallmarking laws more than anything else?

Thank you everyone for your comments. Enigma thank you for your comments. I agree with you entirely. I will send everything I have for hallmarking in one batch. I was Planning on adding Etsy listings as I’ve made them but I think it just makes more sense to wait until I have several items to batch together, hallmark and list. ‘Handmadeblanks’ Unfortunately even on high ticket items (I don’t think £70-£90 is particularly high ticket) £20 ish for a one off hallmarking charge I think you will agree is a pretty high percentage but I see where you’re coming from in your last comment.
    Thanks all
    Emily

You're welcome Emily.
    If you read the forum discussions on Etsy the general consensus is that you need quite a few listings to get found because of the way their system works.
    I have seen a minimum of 20 suggested, not sure how accurate that is but it doesn't hurt to have a fair few to begin with in any case so I think its a good plan to make them and send off a batch for hallmarking.

Hi again,
    I'm sorry if this is not the thread to ask this question but i'm struggling to find it elsewhere.
    I currently use the pricing formula materials (inc VAT) + labour (£10 hr) x1.2 +50% (100% would be too much to ask and I don't plan on selling in galleries or shops at the moment).
    My question is should I add p&p charges from cooksons, Weston beamor etc to the initial materials cost or at the end? WB postage was £8 last time I ordered for just two casts so I obviously need to recoup this but not sure if I should be getting 'profit' on it?

Ps I know this is a delicate area and personal to the individual jeweller but I don't know any jewellers and unsure where I should pitch my hourly rate? I completed a 2 year jewellery BTEC 10 years ago and have been making on and off since then. After a year out to have my little boy I am now back in the workshop full time and this will be my only source of income. Should I be increasing my hourly rate? Its been the same for years as I've always felt like I was still a newbie. Saying that I know there are others who pay themselves a higher hourly rate but don't properly recover costs for overheads or add 50% profit.

Also when I x my materials and labour by 1.2 this in my mind covers my overheads like insurance, assay office registration and punches, sundries, tools, business cards, utilities etc but does this (should this) cover my packaging (printed boxes which cost me a couple of quid each) and hallmarking or do I cost these out separately?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the many questions which Im sure will have been asked before but I've looked through loads of pricing threads and can't find it.
    Emily

On hourly rate - http://www.sau.org.uk/rights/pay/
    With minimum wage currently at £7.50, it doesn't take much training for a job to pay £10/hr. Jewellery making is highly skilled.

Whenever you have outlay, you should try to make a profit on it. If you need an item posted to you, then that is part of the total cost of the item - your outlay, your risk.

I pay myself £10 an hour, as i'm a untrained beginner who does this as a hobby, but a gardener will ask for anything between £15 - £50 a hour. You're a lucky person if you find one for £15. I've been very sure to pay myself a hourly wage of a least £10 so as not to totally devalue the trade.
    Last edited by Sheen; 15-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.