Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adhesive

This seems a good place to quote a sign on a shop door near me:
    'Children under twelve must be accompanied by an adult. We hope our customers will adhere to this notice.' Dennis.

ha, i've got visions of a bunch of small children with ice cream smeared on their faces and sticky fingers adhered to the notice like fly paper!
    Hazel

What he says and what I say are not mutually exclusive
    But things will stick without glue - think of two identical glasses
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

If I glued two interlocking Lego bricks together surely that bond would be stronger than simply gluing two smooth plastic bricks together? The reason being there is more surface area...? Isn't this what is happening on a microscopic level when you roughen up two surfaces that are to be glued together? More surface area to create a vacuum...? Lots of stuck glasses...?

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    Thanks for replies.
    Dennis, I've glued because I couldn't think of a better way to fix it into the domed shell with my current skills. Neither the glass nor the metal are a flat regular shape so it would be really tricky to make and fit a soldered bezel and I'm just not that keen on wrapped wire designs. Plus if I wrap it in wire it loses the impact of the colour pattern in the glass.
    How would you approach a design like this?
    Hey EEkoh

I have used some loctite glass glue on some top drilled glass and it seems to work well. It is clear setting and states in can bond just about anything to glass. Its £3 a tube so not to expensive to try

I always have some Iso alcohol handy too afterwards to catch any glue that leeches out.

If you are struggling to get a good hold you could also try using something porous as a bridge between the two surfaces. Fine fiberglass sheeting, cotton. Anything that isnt too thick and will absorb the glue well will work.

As regards the whole glue debate and surface area its not just about the surface area. Its ultimately about the glues ability to adhere to the surface. Roughing the surface up is the same as roughing a cars bodywork before painting. It does increase surface area but also allows the glue to form hooks as it sets in the rougher areas of the surface. Like velcro on a micro scale

Mick
    Last edited by mick; 31-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Years ago I needed to fix a rear view mirror mount to a wind screen, first attempt it fell off< i rang the loctite technical dep. and the bloke said to polish the mount to a mirror polish.
    I did this in 20 years ago, the car now belongs to a mate who is restoring it, the rear view mount is still in place

That's torn it! I still religiously roughen or notch anything to be glued and probably shall continue to do so.

Certainly adhesion of epoxy is improved by roughening. Perhaps different situations need different treatments. Dennis.

Yes it is interesting, I would have gone the rough it up rout also, as Cabinet Maker by trade that was was always the way to go as you said the theory being more surface area, most likely different glues work in different ways