Thread: what solder to use

Default what solder to use

Hello,
    Im making a ring with 3mm d shape red gold wire (9ct) but im putting a 1mm beaded silver band top and bottom, What solder do i use to solder the silver onto the gold? thanks.

The really unmanageable clean-up would be to get silver solder spilling onto the red gold.

So I would get the silver edging to fit well ,rest the red ring on it and tuck lots of tiny snips of PEF000
    red gold solder against the inner edge of the silver and solder that side first.

Pickle, rinse, neutralise with bicarbonate, rinse again and then do the other side the same.

If you use a soft flame, the solder should disappear behind the silver edge, with minimal blemish. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The really unmanageable clean-up would be to get silver solder spilling onto the red gold.

So I would get the silver edging to fit well ,rest the red ring on it and tuck lots of tiny snips of PEF000
    red gold solder against the inner edge of the silver and solder that side first.

Pickle, rinse, neutralise with bicarbonate, rinse again and then do the other side the same.

If you use a soft flame, the solder should disappear behind the silver edge, with minimal blemish. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, I wish i had seen this earlier but sadly i had a new challenge to face and forgot about my question so i hadnt checked back in on this thread. But your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you