Thread: dremel 4000 as pendant drill?

Default dremel 4000 as pendant drill?

Hi everyone.
    I have always used a basic rotary tool for polishing my jewelry, but i find it really difficult to try and hold it at the right angles when polishing inside of rings and in difficult spots.
    I got a Dremel 4000 today because it comes with a flex shaft. Will a flex shaft enable me to use burrs to cut seats for stones? i cant see much of a difference between a pendant motor and a flex shaft on a dremel? forgive me if im being daft and there is a huge difference, im not very tech savvy i just use what works! Thank you

If it will take standard 2.3mm shanks and has variable speed, you should be able to make seats for stones. Dremels tend to be a bit too fast otherwise.

The difference is in quality and the length of time it will keep going. Buiyng a cheap option can prove expensive. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
    It has a variable speed, but its not controlled via foot pedal as i see pendant drills do.
    I guess i can try it on the lowest speed? Im worried it will snap the burrs if its too quick.
    On this forum dont you get notifications when someone replies to a question? I find myself not getting any and missing replies? thanks

You don't get notifications unless you press a particular button when you post. I've forgotten where it is but maybe someone else can tell you.

It's under settings/general settings/default thread subscription mode if that's the one you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It's under settings/general settings/default thread subscription mode if that's the one you mean.
    Ahaha! thank you both, il try and sort it now!

I generally click on 'todays posts' or 'new posts' whenever I come onto the forum
    Niamh, its not so much the risk of breaking the burrs although that can certainly happen with small drill bits, its more that the high speeds that the Dremel needs to turn them blunts them quickly and also makes it harder for you to be accurate.
    However you have the tool now so do go ahead and use it, it works to an extent which you may find is enough for what you require.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I generally click on 'todays posts' or 'new posts' whenever I come onto the forum
    Niamh, its not so much the risk of breaking the burrs although that can certainly happen with small drill bits, its more that the high speeds that the Dremel needs to turn them blunts them quickly and also makes it harder for you to be accurate.
    However you have the tool now so do go ahead and use it, it works to an extent which you may find is enough for what you require.
    Thanks enigma, as its looking at the moment however after just testing my dremel for the first time its not working properly. motor judders, its vibrating too much and it doesnt spin smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Thanks enigma, as its looking at the moment however after just testing my dremel for the first time its not working properly. motor judders, its vibrating too much and it doesnt spin smoothly.
    If you are in time, try to get a refund and buy something better.
    This is a thread on the subject from a year ago: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9135

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you are in time, try to get a refund and buy something better.
    This is a thread on the subject from a year ago: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9135
    Thanks Dennis il have a look! X