Thread: Help me make or supply a silver snap cover?

Question Help me make or supply a silver snap cover?

Hi first post, I wonder if anyone can help? I'll try to be succinct, I’ll probably fail... many thanks in advance for any advice, tips etc.

I'm making a leather wallet/purse with a pretty normal snap closure like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap wallet.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	11025

(this is not my wallet just an example off the web)

That big thing covering the outside of the snap is a concho I believe!?

Nice as it is, it’s too big, I'd to make the outer part of the snap on my wallet out of silver but smaller and flatter

Anyone make something like this before in silver? Or seen a smallish silver snap rivet, snap/cover?

Via Google I’ve seen various elaborate silver conchos but they’re usually BIG! I want a nice small outer snap or snap cover but in silver.

I guess want the snap to look a bit like a simple flat cufflink or silver disc but how to attach it to the snap?

Name:	cufflink-118_copy.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	11026

Maybe instead of a cufflink post I can attach a silver tube to a silver disc and splay it to make a rivet and attach it to the outer snap part? Would silver be strong enough?

Make any sense? Have I answered my own question?

I've made a couple of small things in silver and silver soldered a bit but I'm slow and not very skilled... so I'd prefer to buy it than make it. Is there a silver finding(?) that does this or could be adapted maybe?

I just want something nicer than a normal base metal snap cover, in silver, but not a BIG concho thing...

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, tips or links!

Moif

Actually, I don't think small silver parts would withstand repeated daily use like this. You would be better looking at a leather workers supply company and use a base metal fastener.

I do make belts with silver buckles, but the rivets and screws are made of base metal and bought in. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jb2The Chicago Screws.jpg  

I agree with Dennis, the rivet part would be ok I think but the snap part would be too soft in silver.
    You could always make a Sam Brown stud although it would stick out more:
    http://sarahfoxfineart.co.uk/a1-gall...ictureID=76564
    Alternatively buy in a base metal stud, they are easy enough to find.

Thanks you guys really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

hmmm, I guess I need to figure out how to make essentially a flatter, smaller silver concho... yikes...

I know the main parts of the snap need to be base metal for strength. I.e. In the pic below its the top part (1) I either want to make from silver or attach a silver disc to it...

Name:	07003_6.jpg 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	11029

Is it possible to solder silver to a base metal part like this I wonder??

I've seen silver tube rivets as below, adapting one of those maybe?

Name:	silver rivet.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	11030

Thanks again you guys, I'll ponder more...

)

[QUOTE=moif;99051]Thanks you guys really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

hmmm, I guess I need to figure out how to make essentially a flatter, smaller silver concho... yikes...

I know the main parts of the snap need to be base metal for strength. I.e. In the pic below its the top part (1) I either want to make from silver or attach a silver disc to it...

Name:	07003_6.jpg 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	11029

Is it possible to solder silver to a base metal part like this I wonder?? Yes I think so although you need a fair amount of heat to get the solder to flow on steel, I think Dennis said recently he has soldered onto steel before. ( I failed)

I've seen silver tube rivets as below, adapting one of those maybe?

Name:	silver rivet.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	11030

The silver part is pretty simple to make, just a domed disc on a piece of tube of the right diameter- joint tube would be strongest.

thanks again Enigma!

Joint tube huh... didn't know there was such a thing, so I've learned something else from you!

I might have a go at soldering a bit of joint tube onto a flat but thick'ish disc (1.5mm maybe?) then see if I could flare out the tube and cold connect it to part two in the pic above...

You see I sort of like the idea of my silver button being flat vs domed like the trad concho? The 'tube' part goes through the leather and the disc part lays sorta flat against it. A smaller thinner version of a concho I guess... or a silver version of part 1 above but zero domed! The disc could have various decorations on it's exposed side, sort of like some thin cufflinks do.

I could make one... if the flaring works (inside part 2) and the tube is strong enough... I wonder if someone would make me a batch!?

TBH, given the mix of metals going on with snap clips I'd probably use some brass tube (so long as it wasn't being hallmarked and it wasn't being sold as all silver...). Simple enough to make, doesn't need to be domed - as you say, it could just be flat, but with the edges filed round (I'd do that after the tube was on so as to give something to hold more easily). The flaring dies used for setting snaps are pretty simple; the good ones help roll the edge back on itself more.

I'm happy to go and measure off some of my assortment of press studs if needed, although obviously they may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Thanks Peter.

No no plan to hallmark I just really would like the outer part of the snap to be silver if possible to add something to the feel/quality of the wallet. I've tracked down companies that will make some pretty nice button snaps to order, even some that are sort of like enamelled pins, in shapes, logos etc. but none in silver of course. It's the actual button in silver I want.

So brass tube you reckon? Soldered to my silver (brass to silver is ok?) disc at one end (to make a part 1 as above...) then the other end fed through the leather and through part 2 (pic above) and flared out with a punch or flaring die?

Yes yes a 'flaring die'! Thanks for that, I didn't know the term! Googling that pops up images showing the "rolled back edge" you refer to. I just need to try and achieve that flare inside of part 2 (as pic above) to make it work.

I've used basic rivet punches on normal rivets but I've never made, what I think of, as a proper cold connection rivet with a metal tube by hammering it. So I was thinking on the tube I'd try the ez-rivet tool that I see about a lot that I guess unskilled newbs like me might use to flare a tube... That or I prob just need the right rivet die for the tube size I use... hmmm

Thanks again, I think I'm ok for a measure on the press studs (if I get what you mean correctly) As above, I've used normal punch rivets a bit for leather and with this, my silver button snap, would only be going through 3mm leather so that thickness will determine the 'measure' of my rivet shank?

Lovely work on your website by the way

Enigma and Brian forgot to say before, lovely things you guys make!