Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Day Necklace

Default Snow Day Necklace

Hope the snow isn't causing any major problems for anyone!

On our snowday today, after we'd done some sledging, snowballing and warming up with hot chocolate I had a go at making a necklace I've been planning in my head for a while. I was after something that I could use with the pendants I've made (and plan to make) and I wanted it to be quite close to my collarbone, so it's a little over 16" long, with a large hook on one end. The hook can then be used to hang a pendant from.

To link all of the larger rings I used some tube that I etched last night, cut into pieces and smoothed off. As I messed up some of the cutting (I should probably get a mitre-jig) I didn't have quite enough pieces so just cut off some more tube and used some pieces unetched once they'd been smoothed off.

Initially once all of the soldering was done I manipulated the rings into flattish ovals but once they were done it looked a little too much like a necklace made from paper-clips, even after texturing, which wasn't quite the look I was going for! So after annealing again I stretched the rings back out into more organic shapes. It still needs a proper polish but I'm happy enough with it. Hopefully I'll get a bracelet done too this weekend (especially if I can't make it to the Rock 'n Gem show tomorrow as I'd planned) which will match and that I can hook onto the necklace to make a longer necklace should I wish to.

Thanks for looking, and feedback welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180302_175831.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	11019 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180302_180037.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	11020 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180302_180027.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	11018

Love the way you've used etched tubes to link the links - looks great.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Love the way you've used etched tubes to link the links - looks great.
    Sally
    Thank you Sally - I'm not a big fan of matchy matching jewellery but on the pendant I've photographed it with I used the same idea, etched tube that was slightly flared so I figured it might be a good way to use an element that I've used elsewhere. Plus one of my most constantly worn rings is an etched and flared spinner. I do like a hidden detail.

You have a unique style not the run of mill stuff you see all over the place (Snow? ah! that's that stuff up in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    You have a unique style not the run of mill stuff you see all over the place (Snow? ah! that's that stuff up in the mountains)
    My mum commented the other day, "It's a very niche style you have there." If I wanted what everyone else wears I could buy it quite easily and I find I have to be really enamoured of an idea in order to get it made.

The snow here in the UK is proving to be resistant to melting at the moment and being thoroughly disruptive to everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Hope the snow isn't causing any major problems for anyone!

On our snowday today, after we'd done some sledging, snowballing and warming up with hot chocolate I had a go at making a necklace I've been planning in my head for a while. I was after something that I could use with the pendants I've made (and plan to make) and I wanted it to be quite close to my collarbone, so it's a little over 16" long, with a large hook on one end. The hook can then be used to hang a pendant from.

To link all of the larger rings I used some tube that I etched last night, cut into pieces and smoothed off. As I messed up some of the cutting (I should probably get a mitre-jig) I didn't have quite enough pieces so just cut off some more tube and used some pieces unetched once they'd been smoothed off.

Initially once all of the soldering was done I manipulated the rings into flattish ovals but once they were done it looked a little too much like a necklace made from paper-clips, even after texturing, which wasn't quite the look I was going for! So after annealing again I stretched the rings back out into more organic shapes. It still needs a proper polish but I'm happy enough with it. Hopefully I'll get a bracelet done too this weekend (especially if I can't make it to the Rock 'n Gem show tomorrow as I'd planned) which will match and that I can hook onto the necklace to make a longer necklace should I wish to.

Thanks for looking, and feedback welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180302_175831.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	11019 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180302_180037.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	11020 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180302_180027.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	11018
    Yes I like the less formal / more rustic approach. It is obviously an individual item not a stamped out by the score item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen reports re the snow over there on the news, I am happy I do not have that problem.

Beautiful design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the etched tube links and the organic shape of the ovals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Yes I like the less formal / more rustic approach. It is obviously an individual item not a stamped out by the score item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So far I've resisted the urge to patina everything to make it even more rustic. Things that are stamped out by the score are not to be sniffed at but I like making things just for me, and oddly I like that I don't really like anything I've made yet. I wear some items constantly but I'm forever looking at them, trying to work out how I can make them utterly mesmerising to my eye.