Thread: Argentium Silver or Sterling ?

Default Argentium Silver or Sterling ?

I have been using Argentium silver for maybe 5 years now and love its tarnish resistance,
    ease of cleaning with detergent & water, and icy white colour.
    It is a marvel in fusing chunky chains which I often add to my necklaces.

However it seems that whatever galleries sell my jewelry also sell mostly sterling.
    I often wonder if by selling clients on the attributes of Argentium, it somehow diminishes the value
    of those other pieces they sell in sterling, so they do not do a good selling job on
    Argentium.
    Of course it costs me more.
    What are your thoughts on the value of Argentium vs Sterling Silver at retail and in general?

Linda

Lindafreedmankatz.com

I just bought a length of argentium wire as i have been told it's hypoallergenic. Very exciting as usually i have to wear titanium or niobium. Niobium is very expensive and dark grey. I'm hoping the argentium will allow me to wear some of my silver designs. I know quite a few people who would like to wear silver but can't.

Personally I believe Argentium is superior to Stirling in just about every way and it is pretty much the only Silver I use, however it is in the scheme of things it is the new kid on the block
    many people are set in their ways and it can take a lot of persuading to change their ideas, I have spoken to jewellers who comment it is just a fad and won't last, and I'm afraid the owners of the Argentim trade mark are doing very little to promote it.
    Unfortunately it is the most difficult precious metal to buy

Yes I myself love working with it in every way especially because of its ability to resist tarnish
    for a long time. I used to use sterling silver and just got tired of cleaning it all the time.
    And it has no copper in it..germanium instead...so good for pdople allergic to sterling.

The only downside is that it sags when under the torch if not properly supported.
    Also it is very fragile when red hot so must be allowed to cool before being touched.
    These are just things you have to be aware of when starting to use Argentium.

Yes it is a bit different to work with just takes a rethink on past habits , the anti allergenic properties are great
    I know several people who could not wear silver who have no problem with it

To people who are resistant to change, every innovation is just a fad. That went for aircraft, television and obviously penicillin, considering the number of years it was just on the shelf.

The jewellery craft is one of the worst and Argentium has little appeal at the moment, even though it is recognised by the assay office as 925.

The agents in UK do nothing to promote it and supplies are limited to a very small range, prompting me even to make my own tubing for tube setting.

That said,the fragility when hot can be unnerving. It shatters if quenched too soon and recently a dome with complex decorations, broke up because the clamp for soldering it to a back plate was too tight. Dennis.

Yes it does have a few draw backs like quenching too soon etc, although as I said above I think it mostly a matter of learning new habits
    The biggest draw back is as you say the the Argentium mark owners don't seem to have any interest in making in available, ( I think I promote more than they do) I make many of my items from gain then cast and roll and so on
    However items like chenier (Tube) and chain are nice to have on hand as they a real pain to make. I am in the process of making a locket, I could only find chenier from a company in the USA who I don't particularly wish to deal with
    ( because I am a hobbyist they refuse to sell me some items) Okay I raving again, I better go and make something, quietly so I don't wake up the neighbours