Thread: reclaimed silver pendant

Default reclaimed silver pendant

This was inspired by the February Theme competition but it isn't going to be finished in time so I thought I'd post it here for a little feedback and advice instead.
    It started life as a damaged sterling silver fish knife that I'd bought for scrap value - I really like the idea of re-purposing old materials to make beautiful things out of junk and the engraving seemed too pretty to just melt down for casting experiments. Using reclaimed materials also provides an opportunity to incorporate more advanced decorative techniques into my designs than I could achieve myself at this stage.

I practiced with a copper template first off to check that I could saw it neatly enough, then cut the silver and annealed it before hammering a slight curve using the domed wooden handle of a large vintage screw driver to form the shape. Rookie mistake in getting carried away and not annealing before I sawed, but it was a useful lesson to show just how much difference it makes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	10996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2835.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	10997

The left lobe isn't actually as wonky as it looks from this angle but it does need a little more work on the top edge as there are still some visible cutting/filing marks rather than a really smooth flat shine.

The plan is to drill a small hole near the top of the plain lobe and attach a simple silver bail. I had originally thought of using a strip of the narrow ribbed edge of the remaining blade to make my own but now that I've cut it that seems too chunky and I'm not sure whether hammering it flatter would give a good result.

I've given it a bit of a polish with micromesh sheets but as you can see from the picture it still needs a fair bit of work to get a really good finish. (I have 2400, 3600, 6000 & 8000 sheets and a dremel 4000 though I'd need a bit of practice with that tool before I put it anywhere near this piece.)

Something I also hadn't really thought about was losing the dark detailing in the engraving when it was pickled. I'm undecided whether I want it back or not but I've seen lots of references on the forum to liver of sulfur for adding patina so I'll have a read up on that.

Anyway, if anybody has any comments or advice on what I've done so far or the next steps then any feedback will be welcomed.

Very good use of the stamped material. Hurry up and put it into the competition: its perfectly good as it is. There's nothing to loose.

My motto is: Do it, learn from it and move on.

I hope you will find a use for the handle too. Dennis.

What a lovely idea.
    I would solder the bail on personally or solder a ring on to attach it to if you want it articulated, I think drilling a hole would ruin the design but thats just me.

That's a great pattern and I like how you've designed to have it down the edge. Like Sarah I'd solder the bail and I'd also solder it on the back so that the shape isn't spoiled

Thanks for the comments everyone, I might well go with soldering as I'm now leaning more towards having the heart appear to sit directly on the chain rather than a visible bail. Plus soldering on the back will be lot more forgiving for neatening up the join. I'll post another pic once its done.

Brilliant ... A great use of recycling products and I agree I like the way the patterned edge is down one side.

OK, took advantage of a snow day and the arrival of the titanium soldering clamps to get a loop attached on for the chain. As its on the back and turned out pretty neat anyway I haven't needed to file off excess solder - seem to be getting a better feel for using the right amount now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	11021 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2863.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	11023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	11022

Need to decide how far to go with the polishing but I quite like that it isn't a mirror shine, it keeps some of the vintage feel rather than being pristine new.

In that case you might like to try a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush. It preserves the texture without removing metal and leaves a semi gloss finish.
    Your walls will get a pleasant spotty finish too though. Dennis.

I really like how you've used the pattern