Thread: Greeting from the UK North

Default Greeting from the UK North

Hello from a a novice from the Uk North

I am a former precision engineer who is moving over into making sea glass jewelry and 3d printed jewelry with my partner and i have no previous knowledge. Thankfully i can polish,grind etc well and alot of my engineering skills pass over so im not too clumsy.

Id like to learn to cast long term but for now i am sticking to shop bought items.

Anyway its nice to meet everyone and im glad there is such a large community here

Mick

Hello mick i bought some diamond drill bits to try sea glass jewellery too, but i haven't got round to it yet. Would be interested to see what you make.

Hi There We live right next to the best place for it in the UK. There is alot of people chucking it out in silver but we plan to go for gold and offer a higher end pieces. That is is we can find any pinch bails in gold It seems we may have to custom order at this rate.

The drilling is relatively straight forward btw if you use a good solid set-up and take you time drilling under water

Looking forward to seeing your work - a friend's engagement ring is a custom design and set with seaglass (not by me!) so there is definitely a market for 'posh' pieces with less traditional gemstones.

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your work - a friend's engagement ring is a custom design and set with seaglass (not by me!) so there is definitely a market for 'posh' pieces with less traditional gemstones.
    Some of the stones we find are beautiful to be fair. I have tortoise shells, half colors and even multicolours. I have some pictures in our advice thread now to see.

Thanks
    Last edited by mick; 27-02-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Hello from a a novice from the Uk North

I am a former precision engineer who is moving over into making sea glass jewelry and 3d printed jewelry with my partner and i have no previous knowledge. Thankfully i can polish,grind etc well and alot of my engineering skills pass over so im not too clumsy.

Id like to learn to cast long term but for now i am sticking to shop bought items.

Anyway its nice to meet everyone and im glad there is such a large community here

Mick
    Hi Mick
    Where in the North? Im there too... nr Lancaster. I was out trying to find seaglass on Sunday but no luck. On the pebbly part...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    Hi Mick
    Where in the North? Im there too... nr Lancaster. I was out trying to find seaglass on Sunday but no luck. On the pebbly part...

We are near Durham. The largest glass factory in the world at one time was in seaham so we get lots of gems popping up

To find sea glass you need lots of stones and tidal movement. It comes after the highest tides and usually is best after a westerly wind as it washes it in The beaches are packed with pickers these days sadly so its getting harder and harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    We are near Durham. The largest glass factory in the world at one time was in seaham so we get lots of gems popping up

To find sea glass you need lots of stones and tidal movement. It comes after the highest tides and usually is best after a westerly wind as it washes it in The beaches are packed with pickers these days sadly so its getting harder and harder to find.
    Yeah we have a few nice pebbly beaches in my area although probably lacking the nice gems you’ll be finding no doubt

Yeah we have a few nice pebbly beaches in my area although probably lacking the nice gems you’ll be finding no doubt

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9300

Theres some examples of what we have found on that thread

If you can't find beach glass you could always look up to see if there's a bottle digging site anywhere near you? They are treasure troves of clear and coloured glass with all sorts of embossed and stamped patterns and there is always heaps of broken stuff lying around discarded by the diggers because they're only interested in intact items. You'd need break and tumble it to get useful sizes but if you've got an eye for glass designs I reckon you could get some really interesting pieces with a bit of vintage character.