Thread: Rough quartz pendant

Default Rough quartz pendant

I've set myself something of a goal so that I can carry on making and have something vaguely coherent at the end of it - inspired by the work of Patricia McCleery and Allison Bellows I'm going to make pendants and rings/beads that can either be worn alone or threaded onto a sturdy necklace and orn together as a statement piece.

This week I've made a pendant using a piece of rough quartz that I've had for about 20 years and I want to prong set it on a large piece of silver. Early in the week I sorted out the shape and texture on a piece of silver and then hit a wall, I wasn't inspired to carry on. Yesterday I had an idea and used the end of a wooden curtain rail and a big wooden spoon as dapping tools to give it a bit of movement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180210_195400.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	10943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180215_145717.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	10942

Once I was finished I still wasn't happy but it was approaching something that I liked the look of, but I went to bed thinking that the dangling quartz was a bit twee. Plus I know there's going to be some firestain creeping through because getting the prongs attached took longer than I wanted.

Name:	IMG_20180215_215603.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	10944

I played around with liver of sulphur last night but didn't like how that looked so got rid of that and slept on it (not literally obviously!)

This morning I swapped the quartz for a piece of kyanite I've had for ages (it doesn't quite fit the bezel but hey ho, that's what glue is for), and added a faux patina using alcohol inks. Much happier with this now. I know it's not to everyone's taste but it's exactly my cup of tea at the moment.

Name:	IMG_20180216_145840.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	10945

Thanks for looking.

Interesting stages in its evolution. It has quite a mystic quality. Dennis.

I prefer the kyanite too, the proportions are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Interesting stages in its evolution. It has quite a mystic quality. Dennis.
    Thank you for your well measured words Dennis. I'm aware that what I make is not conventional to the eye but I'm enjoying the process of making my own jewellery. And I totally love being immersed in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I prefer the kyanite too, the proportions are much better.
    Yes, I think the balance is better too. To be honest I'm trying to use stones I've collected over the years that I never imagined I'd be able to integrate into jewellery. To make the quartz useable I had to grind down the back by about 5mm using wet & dry papers and a bowl of water to keep the dust at bay.

I think it looks fab! Love the silver and the shape and the fact youve kind of just ended up with it! This version looks better but i also like the plain silver aswell. Lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    I think it looks fab! Love the silver and the shape and the fact youve kind of just ended up with it! This version looks better but i also like the plain silver aswell. Lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you - to be honest I tried quite hard to control the shaping of the back plate - I don't think it shows particularly well in the photos but the piece has (what I think) is a subtle rippled effect. I also played around with the placing of the placing of the quartz and decided I didn't want it to be inline with the shape I'd cut out as that would be the safe option design wise. It's hanging up in my kitchen and I'm still pretty pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I much prefer the Kyanite too
    Thank you, I've often wondered what I'd ever do with that kyanite piece as it seems a shame to have nice stones stored away in boxes, but equally I can't bear the dust gathering qualitites that these things have if they're laid out somewhere!