Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Open A Bundle Of Saw Blades.

Default How Do You Open A Bundle Of Saw Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by theresalbush View Post
    Some time ago when I was a newbie, I remember seeing a video showing how to remove saw blades from their bundle very neatly and cleverly. I'm not even sure I owned a saw at that time so it didn't really register with me at the time. Since I have now learned to saw, I have tried to find that video again but with no luck. Does anyone remember seeing it or know what I'm talking about?
    No, but we might as well all chip in to say how we do it:

I cut the brass wire by drawing a craft knife down the length of the bundle. Dennis.

Roll it to loosen the wire, pick out the end between the blades & unravel the thing. Dennis' method is probably faster though.

I just unravel the top inch of a bundle, making sure that the blades teeth are pointing downwards, then I pull out single blades when required and my blade holding tube on my bench has a few different size bundles of blades inside it.

My saw blade holder tube taped to a jam jar full of punches top left.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 Workbench file and burr blocks.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	10969

James

I pull the top of the wire with my nail and then unravel it.
    I remove the wire completely and store in a test tube now after a tip on here, I have a rack with one size in each tube in order of size.

James this a bit off topic, I see you have a New Concepts saw frame can you give a honest opinion, I am about to buy a new frame and have been considering the New Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    James this a bit off topic, I see you have a New Concepts saw frame can you give a honest opinion, I am about to buy a new frame and have been considering the New Concepts
    I have got used to my Knew Concept frames, they are great when you spend hours piercing especially now as I am in my 70s and the light saw frame makes piercing easier for me, my favourite 5 inch saw frame is a special model with a one piece titanium frame, I don't think they make them anymore looking at their website. I also have the standard aluminium models in my collection. If you don't do a lot of piercing then a decent standard saw frame will be OK. I do still use my old German frames occasionally.

James

Thanks for that James, I think I may give one a go, I am ordering some more titanium strips, may ask Brian if that frame is still available

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Thanks for that James, I think I may give one a go, I am ordering some more titanium strips, may ask Brian if that frame is still available
    I just checked through my work history and the last big piercing job I did took me 360 hours of piercing, a job with over 10,000 separate holes to pierce out, so the light weight saw frame was very useful for my old hands.

This was the job I pierced, a pair of 18ct. gold table lamp shades that were to be plique a-jour enamelled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue base lamp shades all parts, 18,7,10.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	10970 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels for 2 Blue base lampshades b.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	10971

James

That is amazing work James if I ever become a tenth that good I will be happy

I also saw a good tip somewhere about colour marking one end of any new batch of saw blades at the time you unwrap them, then you can always tell at a glance which way round to put them in your saw. (Especially handy if you drop them all like I did.)