Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Micromotor hammer action handpiece

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I would add that my comments aren't solely based on my personal experience with them - which was very, very bad - but also from other jewellers (including a number who came back to me to tell me I told them so ).
    I remembered that it wasn't only you. I did warn on a Scottish Jewellers forum about buying from them and a few of people came back saying they had never had any bother but maybe it wasn't a big spend

Its probably ok until something goes wrong.
    I bought a kiln from them 4 years ago and its been great so far but I doubt I would get any assistance if it goes wrong after reading of others experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Its probably ok until something goes wrong.
    I bought a kiln from them 4 years ago and its been great so far but I doubt I would get any assistance if it goes wrong after reading of others experiences.
    I think yore right Sarah and I'm pretty sure they had just bought tools and the like, anything with electrical parts is another thing altogether. I missed out on Woodworks closing down sale, I left it late and put in an order as they said they had them in stock and then in all her distress she just wasn't able to find one. Maybe it's just trying to tell me I don't need one!

I think they only really come into their own if you are setting in gold and haven't got great strong male hands lol.
    Oh and yes, it was the Dremel engraver that somebody else said worked ok, haven't tried it myself as I put mine away somewhere when I discovered how crap it was at engraving but could be with a try as it does have a similar action and is pretty cheap.

It's not that I don't have the money but it does seem a huge amount of money for a handpiece and yes before the blokes tell me the motor is in the handpiece for micromotors, I obviously didn't follow that through when Mark said it would be good for me because it's lighter to use.
    I've never had a dremel having done without anything for 3 decades I thought I may as well buy the best but for my limited needs it might just do the job, having said that the more I produce with stones the more they sell. I have no bother setting great big Labradorite it's little fiddly things that I huff and puff at:/ I could buy yours if it's in the cupboard

Im the same, there are so many tools we could have its always a question of balance.
    I would sell you mine if I could remember which cupboard it was in lol but tbh it would probably cost almost as much to send to the UK as it would to buy one.
    They have them on Ebay for £20
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREMEL-29...AAAOSwVaVZ1gIQ

That's what I thought the minute I'd typed it! I might just pay the 20 quid should I ever get to the bench again it might just make the difference to having the strength of a slug at the moment

The Dremel engraver works fine if you reverse the tool so that the flat end shows and you shape it to be like a bezel pusher. The noise is a bit much though.
    However for small stones upto about 4.0mm, there is nothing like some round nosed pliers with one beak slightly flattened. Keep them as near the metal edge as possible and gently nudge it over. No huffing and puffing at all and minimal strain on a fragile work piece. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I ordered the cheap dremel as a standby, if I don't like it no doubt someone will find a use for it. I'll try not to huff and puff anymore but I'm always damned if I'll be outdone and have to use pliers. I probably need To be less hard on myself.

Hi Dennis
    I know this original post was a while ago, but i was wondering if you could advise on what tip i should use to set stones using the dremel engraver?
    I want to set some large stones using thick bezels, and have now bought the dremel engraver. What kind of shape should i be using the hammer down the sides?
    Thanks
    Susie