Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Micromotor hammer action handpiece

Default Foredom Micromotor hammer action handpiece

I thought I'd bite the bullet and buy the hammer action handpiece for my micromotor. When my OH bought me the micromotor for my Xmas a couple of years back I don't think he realised that the handpiece would cost me the same again and it was actually the hammer action that was most needed but you can't look a gift horse....
    Of course the keenly priced Woodworks closed down and now that leaves me with only Cousins at £395 and we all know the tales about them, I thought I'd try Suttons for a price even though they don't stock it.
    Firstly his reply this morning is you can't get one for the K1070, once we'd cleared that one up wait for it
    £570+ vat+carriage! I guess I'll just have to continue huffing and puffing. It would be cheaper to buy a Foredom pendant motor and hammer attachment perhaps?
    I wish Cookson would stock them instead of the never ending range of Durston they now promote

Wow! thats steep!
    Im not sure Suttons are as good since they joined with Betts tbh.
    You may as well get a Foredom LX and hammer handpiece surely? ( £345 plus Vat for both on their website)
    I find it really helpful not to have to keep changing the handpiece when Im setting anyway.

Might be worth talking to Moleroda - they're importing Foredom kit nowadays although it'd probably be special order.

For that amount of money I would save up for a GRS graver max or an enset unit or maybe look for a second hand one.

I don't set enough stones to spend more than that and I don't use my micromotor as much as I should as I have my bench polisher that suits nearly all my needs. That's what happens when you get a surprise present.
    Suttons came back saying although it would come in their next order there would be duty and shipping and we are speaking 2 months away anyway as they've made this months order.
    I think at one point some time back Mark suggested that a dremel engraver did the job satisfactorily, is that a word it doesn't look right

Haven`t been here for a while so missed out on info :Whats been the problem with Cousins? I`ve ordered files,satinising mops,burrs,blades and blow torch bits etc from them over the years and not had any problems!
    Have found their prices better than Cooksons on some items ,hence reason for using them.

Where to begin...

The main issue remains that they regard themselves as completely unfettered by the basic principles of law - such as, providing goods fit for purpose. Any issue at all and they will stonewall claiming they're not bound by any legal niceties. If there's any problem with a purchase it's your problem - whether it's DOA, smashed to pieces on arrival or simply that they haven't provided the items purchased. Caveat emptor. Oh, and you can forget after-sales service - that's handled with a hearty GFY.

Thanks for the warning,I`ll shop around!

Thanks for the reminder Peter, I knew all this but I was wavering and it's good to be reminded. I'd had the idea of getting a friend to bring one back from the US when he's over for the summer again but checking out the price from Rio Grane or even from Foredom it was more expensive than Cousins. I think I'll just do without

I would add that my comments aren't solely based on my personal experience with them - which was very, very bad - but also from other jewellers (including a number who came back to me to tell me I told them so ).