Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No experience, have an idea but need help

I *think* Joe will print things for people, as will I.
    Smaller local businesses

That's good to know Peter, smaller and local is good!

Don't suppose you print metal do you? I'm guessing not just yet!? I want to try a couple of things in metal, the online services all seem to do it but from what I can see steel is actually the only metal that's reasonably priced. I want to give it a go with a couple of small items

Nope - I'm not a huge fan of DMLS yet as I feel the level of cleanup required (compared with print & cast) represents too high a time cost for the other benefits (for jewellery work anyway). At the current level of technology, anyway.
    Besides, the up-front purchase cost of the machines is a touch high... There are some strange solutions involving printing metal in a matrix, then burning it out & sintering - kind of printed metal clay, I guess - but the shrinkage is quite high. There's a copper-bearing filament on the market that's supposed to work with FDM printers; never tried it (and either way, you have a porous partially-sintered product). There's also a system that - instead of sintering with a laser - prints layers of binder onto metal dust, which are then used to hold the object together for subsequent firing.

There's a lot of interesting development going on.

Thanks ps_bond, useful info