Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year on

Default One year on

This time last year I returned home after my first day workshop with a local jeweller, pleased as punch with my simple hammered bangle, ring and earcuff. A year on I find myself thoroughly hooked with a growing collection of jewellery that I very much enjoy wearing and an ever growing cupboard full of tools and bits and bobs. It is the most expensive hobby I've ever had but that's outweighed by the hours I spend in my making corner of the kitchen when I get the time, getting things wrong, having a cuppa and then having another go.

Most of all though this forum has been invaluable - here I am again reading through old threads and gleaning bits of information that I'll try to remember when I'm making and having a problem - so I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who are so generous with your knowledge and experience.

Now all I need to do is decide what I'm going to try next!

We do it for a hobby, so we owe you thanks for asking the questions.

This forum would die without input from its members and feed back after advice. All you lurkers who never post anything and those members who ask but never reply stand accused of cynical misuse. This is my rant for the week. Dennis.

A kitchen hobbiest...me too!

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    This time last year I returned home after my first day workshop with a local jeweller, pleased as punch with my simple hammered bangle, ring and earcuff. A year on I find myself thoroughly hooked with a growing collection of jewellery that I very much enjoy wearing and an ever growing cupboard full of tools and bits and bobs. It is the most expensive hobby I've ever had but that's outweighed by the hours I spend in my making corner of the kitchen when I get the time, getting things wrong, having a cuppa and then having another go.

Most of all though this forum has been invaluable - here I am again reading through old threads and gleaning bits of information that I'll try to remember when I'm making and having a problem - so I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who are so generous with your knowledge and experience.

Now all I need to do is decide what I'm going to try next!
    Its a brilliant forum!
    I dont feel qualified to answer posts yet... im learning from them so im guilty of asking alot.
    But Ive bought so many bits and bats from the recommendations on here and learn alot.
    Im a shed in the back garden worker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis is absolutely right as always
    Im very grateful for this forum too, it has been invaluable to me in my journey so far, thank you to all that contribute.

The point I am trying to make is that you don't need the wisdom of ages to contribute .

Any question, or even an observation about the weather or the cost of a bag of nails will start a new discussion and save the forum from the doldrums. Dennis.

I've found the forum a great help in improving my belief in my work. When you come from the craft side of things with few classes and qualifications to your name it can be difficult to tell if your work is of a sufficient standard. Shop worthy I call it. Making things for yourself is very different to selling. You have to be confident that it won't fall apart, the finish is good and the price you are asking it's worth. I am now much more confident that I am making things that have value. Thanks all.

I started on my kitchen table too misspond!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I started on my kitchen table too misspond!
    Praise be for kitchens I say!��

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The point I am trying to make is that you don't need the wisdom of ages to contribute .

Any question, or even an observation about the weather or the cost of a bag of nails will start a new discussion and save the forum from the doldrums. Dennis.
    That is a very good point, I must confess I rarely feel qualified to chip in with responses to questions but take on board that without input from the wider forum community things can stagnate.