Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One year on

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I've found the forum a great help in improving my belief in my work. When you come from the craft side of things with few classes and qualifications to your name it can be difficult to tell if your work is of a sufficient standard. Shop worthy I call it. Making things for yourself is very different to selling. You have to be confident that it won't fall apart, the finish is good and the price you are asking it's worth. I am now much more confident that I am making things that have value. Thanks all.
    To be honest I always make sure my making standard is high even though I have no intention of selling. What I like to make is not necessarily going to appeal to what would need to be a wider audience willing to part with their money. Having said that, I do always jot down in my notebook how much a piece has cost to make. For example my last pendant would go for retail at about £200.

I have to agree with everyone who has responded to this thread . I have made for family and friends over the last few years every time praying that things don't fall apart and so pleased to see the smile on someone's face when they receive a handmade piece of jewellery and even more pleased when I see them wearing it!!! The forum is brilliant , if I'm stuck a quick search and I usually find what I'm looking for , or there is always someone to answer a question .... For that I thank you all ... I too am always a bit shy to offer advice as someone who has done this around shift work in my spare bedroom for the last few years. It is an expensive hobby , a good friend of mine has over 100 pairs of beautiful shoes in her wardrobe ...(s) ... honestly ......I have jars and boxes of ruined silver ......

For want of a better word "newbies" should not shy away from offering advice even professional teachers and professors learn from those who are less qualified, just because someone else has not written it down
    does not mean it is not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    a good friend of mine has over 100 pairs of beautiful shoes in her wardrobe .....
    Ha, yes, I'm able to justify my spending to myself as I don't have much else going on outside of work and the children.