Thread: Made for my niece, but...

Default Made for my niece, but...

Niece is 11, think she’ll love this but when ive soldered the copper heart on, the top part hasnt done too well. It isnt gonna come apart but the silver disc has been domed and then the heart is slightly domed opposite to the disc. How best to do this without it distorting as i noticed this but stopped the heat straight away. Something to do with pressure i seem to remember but cant think where i saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to see, but the edges of the heart need to fit the domed disk exactly, because solder will not fit gaps.
    So you would cover the domed disk in wet sandpaper, to adapt to the shape and then rub the heart on it until it is seen to fit.

Then you would stick pallions of solder inside the rim of the heart with flux gently heated, put the heart in position and steady it with tweezers, or a clip, or wire and heat the dome until the solder flows. Unsupported the heart can float out of position.

Too late for that now, but if you don't want to start again the best remedy is to make a heart shaped round wire, or twisted wire to fit and solder it in place to cover any gaps around the heart. Dennis.

The easiest thing to do would have been to dome the heart in the same way that you'd domed the disc and then the curve should have been the same and then I would probably have sweat soldered it to the disc

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Difficult to see, but the edges of the heart need to fit the domed disk exactly, because solder will not fit gaps.
    So you would cover the domed disk in wet sandpaper, to adapt to the shape and then rub the heart on it until it is seen to fit.

Then you would stick pallions of solder inside the rim of the heart with flux gently heated, put the heart in position and steady it with tweezers, or a clip, or wire and heat the dome until the solder flows. Unsupported the heart can float out of position.

Too late for that now, but if you don't want to start again the best remedy is to make a heart shaped round wire, or twisted wire to fit and solder it in place to cover any gaps around the heart. Dennis.
    Oh! Good idea! Thanks Dennis. It looks fine. Was just curious about one domed 1 way and the other domed the opposite. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The easiest thing to do would have been to dome the heart in the same way that you'd domed the disc and then the curve should have been the same and then I would probably have sweat soldered it to the disc
    Ah yeah but they dome in opposite directions. Was just wondering about vacuum aswell with there being a pocket of air inside

It was difficult to tell from the photo what you were meaning. I think like Dennis we thought it was a domed piece

Quote Originally Posted by JewelleryByMandy View Post
    Ah yeah but they dome in opposite directions. Was just wondering about vacuum aswell with there being a pocket of air inside
    Air is not the problem, but if you quench it, water or pickle solution can get inside through minute porosities. If re heated this would build into high pressure steam.

Also the chemicals can seep out over time, causing a yucky greenish deposit to form.

So you need to vent it by making ideally two or three neat holes at the back. Then it can be neutralised in hot bicarbonate (or soda crystal) solution, rinsed in plain water and dried.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Air is not the problem, but if you quench it, water or pickle solution can get inside through minute porosities. If re heated this would build into high pressure steam.

Also the chemicals can seep out over time, causing a yucky greenish deposit to form.

So you need to vent it by making ideally two or three neat holes at the back. Then it can be neutralised in hot bicarbonate (or soda crystal) solution, rinsed in plain water and dried.
    Dennis.
    I think I could be ok. Itis slightly open at the top of the heart so any fluid can get out. It isnt sealed at the top but it looks fine. I havent re heated it either. Good to know. Ithoughttherewas something about trapped air/steam. Cheers