Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liver of sulphur after dipping

I always use LOS neat and a tiny bottle has lasted me forever.
    I actually quite like the smell but Im weird like that

I see other makers get beautiful results with LoS mixing it with coffee and ammonia to get colourful results. So far I've not been able to get the same colours but I'll keep trying.

What's noirit like compared to platinol? In terms of how to use? Using a solution cold has got to be better surely as it's going to stop it getting into the air quite so much. The problem with the noirit seems to be a lack of information as I didn't find anything on the web about it (it would be great if someone out there could post a wee YouTube video on it)
    I was going to use the Los outside at my mum's house. I live in a flat. I didn't think my fellow flat owners would appreciate the smell, even outside!
    Last edited by Sheen; 18-02-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I always use LOS neat and a tiny bottle has lasted me forever.
    I actually quite like the smell but Im weird like that
    Do you paint it on cold?

Yes I use it cold, I just dip a tiny paintbrush into the bottle and apply it but then I gently heat the piece until I get the shade I want.

I know synthetic brushes are supposed to withstand platinol but I haven't found them to be much better than bristle. That's why I pare down a cotton bud so that it doesn't take on too much or wet a wooden toothpick before dipping it in the liquid. I always rinse in hot water to get full colour. We all have our different techniques so it's trial and error really to get the effect you'd like. I've found that rolled metal doesn't take colour very well at all

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    What's noirit like compared to platinol? In terms of how to use? Using a solution cold has got to be better surely as it's going to stop it getting into the air quite so much. !
    Noirit is similar to Platinol in use, but you have to buy a litre. Neither solution has a noticeable smell (to me at least), so they are flat mate friendly.

One thing not yet mentioned is that solder only colours weakly, so any surplus will show up as yellowish grey.
    Most of my pieces are rolled to size and roll textured, but I have not been troubled by that. Dennis.

Is that rinsing in running hot water or in a wee container? I am considering buying noirit possibly, though it's a shame you have to buy a whole litre of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Is that rinsing in running hot water or in a wee container? I am considering buying noirit possibly, though it's a shame you have to buy a whole litre of the stuff.
    Yes running hot water but that's because I have a sink next to the workshop, you do what you can.
    I don't particularly smell platinol either in the process, it's after washing it off and my OH will comment

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Yes running hot water but that's because I have a sink next to the workshop, you do what you can.
    I don't particularly smell platinol either in the process, it's after washing it off and my OH will comment
    Thanks Caroline, for all the input. I do tend to research things to death rather than just trying stuff out. One last question: do you find platinol works well on copper? Some people seem to think it's only really suitable for silver due to the oxidation being grey to black in colour.