Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting small shapes, i cant saw ☹️

Default Cutting small shapes, i cant saw ☹️

I really want to make stacker rings with hearts, stars, blobs, little tiny things etc... but i have a problem, i simply cant get the hang of sawing, ive tried but the thought makes me want to go do housework instead!!! Thats saying something! Ive looked into shape cutters but id need to do 3 months extra work to pay for those! So I use my big shears, but theyre very bulky and cumbersome. What are your favourite big snips, shears or ideas for pinging out tiny shapes... x

I'm afraid practise with the saw is the best way round this. You are never going to cut tiny shapes with snips the only way to master the saw is to use it often

Read up about it or look for U-tube videos on using a jewellers saw. Start by getting the tension right (it will ping not twang) not pressing much and using a fine blade, such as 4/0.

Your bench peg should have a V-shape and be turned over to be flat, not sloping.

It is also possible that your eyesight is not good enough. If so, even the cheapest headband magnifier will make a tremendous difference to your skill. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Hands-Headb...d=112648040746
    Especially with the strongest lens. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 15-02-2018 at 02:05 AM.

I've bought three differant pairs of shears. They have their limitations in that you won't be able to cut stars with them (unless the metal is thin?). These are my favourite (the best you can buy) i don't cut anything thicker than .55mm thickness as i don't want to ruin them, though they may take thicker. They are really well made https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-6753.../dp/B0002GV02E
    I also use a pair of curved shears. I think the make is ronson? Curved ones are better for curved objects like hearts.
    Last edited by Sheen; 15-02-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Piercing is wonderful but it takes a LOT of practise so thats my recommendation- practise, practise, practise.
    Look on the bright side, at least the house will be clean

Ha thanks enigma !!! Ok it looks like practice is needed. thanks everyone x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ring Clamp Hinge and Wedge!
    This is one of my "old faithfuls" and I use it regularly to hold smaller items whilst resting it on the fork of my bench pin.
    I find it very very useful.
    Well , that's my two penny worth anyway.
    What you describe is something I feel sure a lot of us have been through.
    Something you've invested a lot of time on goes wrong and you stomp off and leave it.
    But you come back.
    Nick

If you are making standard shapes, it is also much easier to mark them out using bought in punches and piercing just shy of the line.

I have tried ring clamps and mini hand vices, but where a little waste is acceptable, the most direct way is to leave a narrow handle, which you cut off last. Dennis.

Mandy - what kind of problems are you facing with sawing?
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Mandy - what kind of problems are you facing with sawing?
    Sally
    Keeping it steady, juddering when sawing. I just hate the thought of it! Im getting along ok atm with my shears but not the answer really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk