Thread: Sand casting 3D object?

Default Sand casting 3D object?

Hi all,

I used to cast metal into delft clay molds back when i was a early teen, im now 23 with 2 kids and fancied making a go of starting back up my old business.

My first plan is to make my dad a set of 9ct gold cufflinks, its my wedding in 3 months and i wanted something meaningful to give him that i had made myself.

I want to cast 9ct gold tiger moth planes into a delft clay sand mold and then make them into cufflinks, but im wondering if i can do this with this casting method.

Theres 2 sets of wings (one on top of the other) and it makes the plan more like a 3D object, I am wondering if the gap in between the 2 wings will just fill with gold or will it work? iv attached a photo of the thing i want to make him.

Id be greatful for any advice or suggestions! thank you
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ll.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	11071

The space between the wigs will have to be solid in Delft.
    Even if you send it to a caster (see: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9347)
    they will struggle to make a mould with any meaningful detail between the wings.

Its probably a job for 3D printing in resin and then casting by the conventional method. Dennis.

Or you could hand fabricate it using sheet silver and wire, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to do.

Hundreds of similar tiny (1/300th scale) bi-plane models are cast each year in lead/pewter for those in the wargames fraternity wishing to re-enact aerial dog-fights over the trenches. Invariably the bi-plane models are cast in at least 2 pieces: 1. The upper wing and 2. The rest of the aircraft, including solid struts to solder/glue the upper wing to. There are of course variants and refinements depending on the model being represented and degree of detail included. Having, in my younger years, cast a few 2 part models of similar aircraft and other figures in lead/pewter, I think I would opt for a similar 2 piece casting were I to tackle something like what you have pictured, in gold.