Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veined Leaf ring

Default Veined Leaf ring

Hi all
    Ive been asked to make some like this in copper.
    I wont be copying it but she likes the definate veining on it and the raised ridge down the centre.
    I tried folding a version and turned it inside out to get the raised centre bit, but i cant seem to get a nice veining technique. Hammering and stamping wont get close to the centre.
    I thought about getting my shape right, then veining it but with what? Then soldering the raised bit on top. Am i being daft?
    Can anyone give any tips...
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7394C055-0E95-4ADC-9E29-358C798811EB.jpg  

When I did this as two separate versions of brooches I called them feathers.

I used lots separate wires soldered together, and then added the main vein with a lower grade of solder. Easy enough in the flat and then bent to shape last of all.

The colour of solder is best dealt with by finding copper coloured solder on line , or it can be quite a mess.

The wires need to be fixed, or they can clump when heated. You might use a vemiculite board (Cookson have one) and by bending the end of each wire down at 90 degees push them down into the board with pliers to keep them in place. If your wire is too fragile for this, make startig holes with a sewing needle first.

Use only the smallest softest flame necessay to get the solder to flow. Then choose the best side to be visible.

The effect is completely ruined by conventional polishing, so finish with a spitsick and a wet and soapy brass brussh. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f Feather Brooch First Version.jpg   f Feather Brooch Second Version.jpg   f V-Shapes For Second Version.jpg  

As Im lazy I would go for soldering the centre vein on as a piece of round wire then engraving the other veins.
    Not that I don't love Dennis' feathers

I would fold form it but you need a really finely edged hammer for the veining. I have a lovely Fretz one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2252.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	10869

If you have a bench grinder or at a pinch flex shaft/Dremel you could create a veining tool from scratch or from a screwdriver

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    When I did this as two separate versions of brooches I called them feathers.

I used lots separate wires soldered together, and then added the main vein with a lower grade of solder. Easy enough in the flat and then bent to shape last of all.

The colour of solder is best dealt with by finding copper coloured solder on line , or it can be quite a mess.

The wires need to be fixed, or they can clump when heated. You might use a vemiculite board (Cookson have one) and by bending the end of each wire down at 90 degees push them down into the board with pliers to keep them in place. If your wire is too fragile for this, make startig holes with a sewing needle first.

Use only the smallest softest flame necessay to get the solder to flow. Then choose the best side to be visible.

The effect is completely ruined by conventional polishing, so finish with a spitsick and a wet and soapy brass brussh. Dennis.
    Dennis, I am amazed at your patience in forming that feather!

Thankyou for all your replies. That looks amazing Dennis but i think its too advanced for me as yet. I might look into getting a better hammer and soldering a piece of tapered wire on top.
    Thanks again x

Ive had a go, or few! And this is what ive made. I shaped and hammered some veins then tapered a piece of wire at both ends and soldered onto the leaves. This is is my best version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB1EF5CA-99C9-4D50-9DF2-0D1CD320DBE9.jpg   80381915-4024-49C9-80A4-668742C9D51C.jpg  

Good effort that, with the added bonus of being adjustable. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Good effort that, with the added bonus of being adjustable. Dennis.
    Oh thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk