Thread: Extreme tapered headpins

Default Extreme tapered headpins

I want to make a headpin with a much wider taper than hammering the end of a 0.8 piece of would give me, how would i do this? As wide as 2-3mm perhaps. Bear in mind i only have basic tools. Could i solder a triangle of sheet metal to the end of the wire or would that be weak as hell?
    Last edited by Sheen; 10-02-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Hold it vertical , flux the end and heat with a small flame until you have a ball of a suitable size, then flatten the end.

Inserting the wire into a hole in some hard metal (draw plate, watch makers riveting block) helps you do the tapping.

Alternatively, cheat and cut a thin slice from some thick round wire, then solder that on to your 0.8mm.

Hi dennis, wrote my description of what i wanted to do badly. See drawing below. Is this called a paddle headpin?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_170950_HDR.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	10925

Dunno, but if I were to make that paddle I would start with thicker wire, forge the head, and then file down the pin, as with my forged brooch pin. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sp4 Penanular Brooch.jpg  

Thanks dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hold it vertical , flux the end and heat with a small flame until you have a ball of a suitable size, then flatten the end.

Inserting the wire into a hole in some hard metal (draw plate, watch makers riveting block) helps you do the tapping.

Alternatively, cheat and cut a thin slice from some thick round wire, then solder that on to your 0.8mm.
    Why do you flux the wire to make the ball end?

Experiments seem to show that you get a smoother ball when fluxed and other members have said the same. Dennis.

I was wondering if that was the reason, thanks