Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Cookson's Budget Rolling Mill

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    66

    Default Cookson's Budget Rolling Mill

    Good morning all,

    I'm needing a rolling mill and while I would love to up my budget I can't really justify the price of a Durston rolling mill for the amount I'll be using it. The only deal breaker with Cookson's budget one is that it doesn't look like you can roll square wire which is exactly what I am needing it for!

    Luckily I am able to make my own rollers so, before I go ahead and order, does anyone happen to know the diameter of the rollers as this will determine whether I can grip the thing in my lathe to cut a keyway for the gear using an end mill?

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,606

    Default

    It looks from the description and also the video, that the diameter of the rollers is 41mm. If I'm wrong and you get no answers here, a call to Cookson should verify it.

    Also bear in mind that while rollers are good at hardening recently poured ingots and reducing wire and offcuts to a manageable size, the result will not be as perfect as using a draw plate, which would be the next stage.

    See the recent thread Making Straight Rods, to read about a home made draw bench.

    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9250 Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-02-2018 at 01:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    The other 2 points I'd make are 1) rolls are - or should be - hardened which makes turning fun and 2) square rolls are tipped on one corner, so it's not a keyway but a V groove.

    Unless you've been using some very odd keys, that is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    I' guessing you have one of those Chinese combination mill lathes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It looks from the description and also the video, that the diameter of the rollers is 41mm. If I'm wrong and you get no answers here, a call to Cookson should verify it.

    Also bear in mind that while rollers are good at hardening recently poured ingots and reducing wire and offcuts to a manageable size, the result will not be as perfect as using a draw plate, which would be the next stage.

    See the recent thread Making Straight Rods, to read about a home made draw bench.

    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9250 Dennis.
    Thank you for your input Dennis. I've seen that thread and have been taking notes! Thankfully I don't need perfection for this project due to the amount of subsequent hammering & filing so I was hoping a roller would suit my needs. Also, for this particular project I plan on flattening the square wire to form a rectangular cross section which I don't think I would be able to do with draw plates.

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    The other 2 points I'd make are 1) rolls are - or should be - hardened which makes turning fun and 2) square rolls are tipped on one corner, so it's not a keyway but a V groove.

    Unless you've been using some very odd keys, that is.
    I'd be making the rollers from silver steel rod and hardening after machining. In theory a hardness of 65+ HRC should be achievable however even the worst case scenario 60 HRC shouldn't be too hard to obtain. I'd then give them a final polish in the lathe to clean them up.

    The keyway I was referring to would be at the end of the shaft where the gears attach to stop them from spinning on the shaft (as can be seen on the end of this replacement roller http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ill&channel=uk). It's a lot easier to machine these with a mill but as I don't have access to one I plan on cutting this keyway in the lathe but I am limited as to what diameter of stock I can hold in my toolpost without some modifications.

    Cutting the V grooves should be straightforward enough using off the shelf lathe tooling. I had originally hoped I could just buy a spare top roller and run it on the bottom however it appears as though this would not work as I would have no way of driving it.

    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I' guessing you have one of those Chinese combination mill lathes.
    No I have a regular geared toolroom lathe with an 8" chuck. I'd be mounting the rollers in the toolpost and putting an endmill in the chuck to cut the keyway which is why I am restricted in the diameter of the rollers. Thinking about it though if I put a 16mm piece of key steel in my toolpost and cut a V groove along the length then using U bolts I could secure the roller to the keysteel. I wish I'd thought of that a while ago as it means I could clamp just about any diameter of stock in the toolpost.

    A milling machine is high on my wish list but for what I'm wanting it to do I would like to have a 4 axis CNC machine which is beyond my ability to program. I'm at that awkward stage where I do't want to fork out on a machine that I can't use but without the machine I'll never learn!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SICraftDesigns View Post
    I'd be making the rollers from silver steel rod and hardening after machining. In theory a hardness of 65+ HRC should be achievable however even the worst case scenario 60 HRC shouldn't be too hard to obtain. I'd then give them a final polish in the lathe to clean them up.

    The keyway I was referring to would be at the end of the shaft where the gears attach to stop them from spinning on the shaft (as can be seen on the end of this replacement roller http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ill&channel=uk). It's a lot easier to machine these with a mill but as I don't have access to one I plan on cutting this keyway in the lathe but I am limited as to what diameter of stock I can hold in my toolpost without some modifications.
    Can you do finish grinding with your setup?

    Understood on the keyway - although you can cut a keyway with a hammer and chisel, you don't need a mill. Still needs good layout though and you'll probably need to fettle it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    66

    Default

    At the moment no although I have had my eye on a toolpost grinder for a while. I think it's just because i like new tools rather than that I actually have a need for one! For this project I think a buff with some 1500 grit wet and dry would do the job. The forming of the V grooves should give a pretty good finish anyway and I suspect that a grinding wheel to cut them may prove hard to come by.

    My concern cutting it manually is the inevitable slip of the chisel scoring the roller but yes, this would be another way of doing it. A good one too if it saves me a couple of hundred quid!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire.
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Could you not just get a rectangular draw plate?
    Sally

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Could you not just get a rectangular draw plate?
    Sally
    I didn't know such things existed until you mentioned it! For this particular project I have been asked to melt the gold from a customers ring to make a new one so I'm guessing for this I would need the rollers anyway to shape the gold prior to running it through the draw plates?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,606

    Default

    Rectangular wires are among the toughest to draw down, so unless you can sit on the floor and push with your legs, a draw bench might be needed.
    You can do a pretty good job cutting it from sheet. Dennis.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •