Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cookson's Budget Rolling Mill

Well, in a dramatic turn of events I spotted a Durston D2 rolling mill & stand going cheap on Gumtree and so am having it delivered tomorrow! Can't wait to have a play with it but I think I'll need to clear some space in the workshop first!

"Cheap" and "Durston" aren't often words that are heard in the same sentence... Congrats - and watch your back lugging the thing.

Well I thought that at first and was reluctant having not seen it in person but for the money I figured it was worth a shot! It seems that a shop in Hamilton is clearing out their in house repair facility and either don't know the true value of it or just want rid of it. Either way I was chuffed to bits with the find!

As for my back - it's a long way from the street to the workshop so I'm hoping I can recruit a willing neighbor to help shift it!

And thank you to everyone for your input to my original question - it was very much appreciated!

Well done, that will give you all you can ever need from a rolling mill and no changing of rollers. Dennis.

I finally got around to playing with my new rolling mill last night. I think I need to bolt it to the floor! Or perhaps I was getting a little carried away with the reductions?

One question I have is that I noticed on a few occasions the edges of the wire became a little rough and sharp. I stopped when I noticed this, re annealed and rolled again which seemed to fix the issue but I am not sure whether I was under annealing the wire or whether I was closing the gap in the rollers too much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't used mine for wire yet so can't help there but it does need bolting down, well at least my cheap one does.

Quote Originally Posted by SICraftDesigns View Post
    I finally got around to playing with my new rolling mill last night. I think I need to bolt it to the floor! Or perhaps I was getting a little carried away with the reductions?

One question I have is that I noticed on a few occasions the edges of the wire became a little rough and sharp. I stopped when I noticed this, re annealed and rolled again which seemed to fix the issue but I am not sure whether I was under annealing the wire or whether I was closing the gap in the rollers too much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I haven't rolled wire yet either. But I believe the recommended procedure is turning the wire 90° after each pass. Also, I think rolling is only recommended for the initial stage of reduction. The wire should be pulled through draw plates for the final stage. But I am only advising from a book-learned perspective. Never tried in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by SICraftDesigns View Post

Yes if it is on a stand, it is totally unsafe unless well secured to the floor. Even so, they have a habit of working loose if the floor is not suitable. Of course you can ditch the stand.

You should never use all your might, but proceed quite gently for best results.

If you close the rollers too quickly, a sharp ridge will appear with square wire, this of course is why the final profile is more true with a draw plate. So take your time and rotate the wire at every pass. Even re-annealing and putting through again will reduce the wires further, because the rollers are sprung. Dennis

Thank you all for your help. I think it may have been me trying to reduce the wire too quickly as you mention Dennis! That also probably explains why I was having to put so much effort in! My logic was that the quicker the wire can be reduced the less work hardening would occur making rolling easier but I'll go slow and steady next time to see if that offers any improved results. For this project the as rolled wire will be fine however I have a few coming up where I'll be drawing the square wire to round so I should get the chance to practice lots!

Thanks again for your help!

p.s. I'll anchor the stand to the ground before my next shot!