Thread: Preventing Damage by & Colour Coding Pendant Motor Accessories

Lightbulb Preventing Damage by & Colour Coding Pendant Motor Accessories

I'd like to share a handy tip, which provides two handy solutions in one.

A lot of pendant motor accessories like felt wheels have a gnarled bit of shank where it joins the head, and no matter how careful I am, sometimes when polishing, the felt slips or gets dragged round and the gnarled shank marks the piece. I had taken to wrapping a bit of electrical tape around the gnarled bit to prevent damage if it did slip, and very recently I also decided to colour code my polishing accessories with different nail varnishes to prevent any mix-up between different compounds. The tape is a bit of a faff though (and so is the nail varnish to be honest) but today I remembered I had some heat-shrink tube and luckily had some in just the right size to slip over the shank. I didn't even need to heat it as it pushed snugly over the slightly wider part of the shank nearest the head. The heat-shrink is black though so I'll still need to colour code them with the nail varnish, but it turns out you can get coloured heat shrink! So I've ordered several colours and next time I need to colour code and/or cover the gnarls of a shank, it'll only take 10 seconds to snip a short length and pop it on! It could also be very handy for colour coding other pendant motor accessories, like marking burrs that are too dull for some uses but usable for others...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R0019004.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	10879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R0019005.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	10880

Not only can you get coloured heat shrink, but some label printers (Brother P700 being one) can print on heat shrink tubing...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not only can you get coloured heat shrink, but some label printers (Brother P700 being one) can print on heat shrink tubing...
    That's handy to know - I'd never have considered the possibility. By the way, do you realise your website link doesn't work? I get a "forbidden" message.

Yep works for me also

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    That's handy to know - I'd never have considered the possibility. By the way, do you realise your website link doesn't work? I get a "forbidden" message.
    Thanks for the heads up - I've been getting some attacks (brute force password attempts) and I've put in some countermeasures which may be configured to "overzealous". I'll have a look and see if it's taken exception to your IP address - sorry!

Yup, most of the Russian Federation, most of Holland + some outlying IP addresses near it. Fluffed CIDR notation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Thanks for the heads up - I've been getting some attacks (brute force password attempts) and I've put in some countermeasures which may be configured to "overzealous". I'll have a look and see if it's taken exception to your IP address - sorry!
    No worries. It's working for me now. Lovely stuff you've got there - love those mokume gane bowls!