Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Hallmarking Laws/Rules in France?

The cost of registering at Edinburgh is £60 + vat for 10 years, there is then the cost of a punch. I recently had to renew mine at around £35

@handmakeblanks -- so from what you wrote I understand
    A silver piece less than 7.78g is exempt, above 7.78g needs hallmarking ?
    Was just confused by this statement: "This is different to saying items above this weight need hallmarking." How is it different? Just want to understand nuances! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mwj View Post
    @handmakeblanks -- so from what you wrote I understand
    A silver piece less than 7.78g is exempt, above 7.78g needs hallmarking ?
    Was just confused by this statement: "This is different to saying items above this weight need hallmarking." How is it different? Just want to understand nuances! Thanks!
    Think in terms of:

1) LESS than
    2) EQUAL to
    3) GREATER than

If a silver item is GREATER than OR EQUAL to 7.78g it must be hallmarked. This is what is meant by items below 7.78g are exempt...

Oops thanks, I have the same typo on my website so better go and change it!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The cost of registering at Edinburgh is £60 + vat for 10 years, there is then the cost of a punch. I recently had to renew mine at around £35
    So am I correct in saying you send all your pieces in to Edinburgh where they stamp them for you and return them?
    It may seem like an obvious question, sorry, but until this week I'd never heard of this process, so trying to get my head around it! Thanks!

You register at the office of your choice, London possibly for you although it doesn't matter. I see you can do it online which is where I found the info for Edinburgh
    As already described re weight although if I have a large collection I also get my underweight pieces done as well but that's by choice.
    Once you've registered with an office and also got your own punch with the makers mark you've chosen you can either give your makers mark to the assay office and they will stamp that part for you or you can keep it as I do and mark with your own mark before sending everything to be tested and marked with an assay mark. You can also have a laser mark done instead for pieces that are more awkward. Each office seems to have different costs for registering that, I had to pay a one off set up charge in Edinburgh but I believe it's different elsewhere.
    Hope this makes sense, it seems complicated but my office is really helpful and they are quite patient!

Yes, but money changes hands too, so it is more economical with bigger parcels.

Once you decide which assay office to go too, you can look up all about them online, or ask for an information pack.
    They are also friendly and helpful on the phone.

You get to choose your unique makers mark, made into a stamp by them. But if your work is delicate it can be laser marked instead. Another advantage of lasers is that the size can be varied according to the piece.

There is nothing like the feeling of seeing your work marked for the first time. Dennis.

Oh and it's quite common for me to repeat what Caroline has already said, because I was still typing. I'll have to pull my socks up to get ahead of her.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-02-2018 at 10:37 PM.

If you do decide to register with a UK office do make absolutely sure that they are willing to post back to you in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, but money changes hands too, so it is more economical with bigger parcels.

Once you decide which assay office to go too, you can look up all about them online, or ask for an information pack.
    They are also friendly and helpful on the phone.

You get to choose your unique makers mark, made into a stamp by them. But if your work is delicate it can be laser marked instead. Another advantage of lasers is that the size can be varied according to the piece.

There is nothing like the feeling of seeing your work marked for the first time. Dennis.

Oh and it's quite common for me to repeat what Caroline has already said, because I was still typing. I'll have to pull my socks up to get ahead of her.
    I do it all the time Dennis, no one has replied when I start typing either!

Quote Originally Posted by mwj View Post
    Hi Pearlescence, thanks for your answer!
    The shop is a new cafe that is displaying local artists - they only opened in December so they're learning the rules/taxes/everything as well. I don't suspect any foul play but ignorance the same as me. Perhaps I can ask them to get more information for me as well.
    I'm interested to know where I can find the regulations for the EU as far as 'nickel etc content and distance selling regulations' - would you happen to know where I can find this information? So much to learn!!
    Many many thanks,

MWJ
    You could try Google
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk