Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need pointing in the right direction [emoji91]

Default Need pointing in the right direction

Hi all. Im wanting a new torch that i can control. The ones i have are rubbish. One hasnt taken to refilling and gives out the tiniest weak flame (brulee torch). My pencil torch was brill but since ive re filled that it either conks out or flames out like Daenerys’ dragons! The other butane propane canister one belts out a hefty flame that i cant control much. Atm im making rings and earrings, sweat soldering and a bit of repairing. Still learning but with not a great budget. I like the look of the Smiths little torch but not keen on loads of canisters and price. Getting the mix right scares me! Anyway. Ive tried researching on here but not found much. I know someone will know just the right thread for me to read...
    Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been many threads on this you'll probably have to do a search and trawl through them.
    It's pretty much a matter of taste, many love the Smiths little torch, I've been using the same Sievert for 30+ years . The wee brûlée torch sometimes seems as if it has filled and hasn't actually so make sure it feels really cold as you fill it. It's only much good for small jobs though even making rings will challenge it.
    The question of torches comes up every few months, happy reading!

I started with a hand held jewellers torch too and found it rather useless, even for small items the flame is too big for any level of delicacy.
    I then got a Sievert and yes it was a big improvement but still couldn't handle larger items like cuffs and was a nightmare for tiny items like claw settings plus it would also occasionally flare and scare the heck out of me.
    I finally got a Smiths torch a year or so ago and wish I had got it sooner because the difference is huge.
    It handles large cuffs that the Sievert couldn't and at the same time handles the tiniest claw settings.
    So I would say if you intend to keep on with jewellery making and have the desire to progress its a well worthwhile investment.
    I buy oxygen canisters as they are cheap here in Portugal and last for months anyway so I only have to have a gas and oxygen cylinder plus regs.flashback arrestor etc.

My sievert does cuffs with the largest burner but the noise of it makes me quite nervous. Mine only started flaring back recently and after boiling it in washing soda, touch wood hasn't done it since, scared the bejesus out of me too Sarah
    I think I'm too long in the tooth to change to a smiths although my OH has watched some of the videos and thinks it looks great
    Last edited by CJ57; 06-02-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Oh! I really like the sound of the smiths but think i need to research more. Arrestors and things...???! Anyway. Reading matter... will keep on looking. Some of the links are out of date on the threads ive read. Il get there. Thanks x

Well the Smiths little torch is very popular here, but while researching further, why not tame your butane /propane canister torch, by adding an unauthorised modification to control the air intake. This is just a copper or brass strip bent to an Ώ shape to fit the burner.
    You can then slide it partly over the air holes until, combined with the gas valve, you have a smaller softer flame.

They still tend to flare a bit when warming up, but that gets better when some gas is used up.

You will still need a hand held mini torch, but if you buy one something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Butane-Gas-...75.c100623.m-1 you will be able to solder most things that come your way.
    Mini torches are re-filled from a lighter gas canister, but must not be overfilled (once you hear a change in the hiss and the torch feels icy), or it will flare alarmingly.

An innovative jeweller can also learn to use the big torch on low and the small torch with a soft flame (one in each hand), to solder selectively on a complex construction, or just to boost the heat on a large piece. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

I think on smaller cuffs you can get away with it, mine are rather thick at 3mm because of the horsehair braid and it did just cope with those but this one I did was a total no go
    http://sarahfoxfineart.co.uk/a1-gall...ictureID=84009
    Mind you I couldn't get mine to melt silver for casting either so may have been I needed the next size torch but then again the size I was using scared the heck out of me on full LOL
    I reckon you would love it after the first few minutes Caroline, I hate change myself but after whining that it was all different for a few minutes and taking a couple of sessions to get the hang of getting the flame right I was in love with it.
    the thing is that for intricate items you can have a tiny flame so no risk of accidentally remelting joints on small claws etc.

Many, the set up confused me at first too, many people have a thing I can't remember what its called that produces the oxygen rather than buying it in tanks.
    I think though if you are in the UK you should be able to get the parts you need from Cooksons, maybe contact them and ask?
    It was more complicated for me as we are in Portugal and our gas bottles don't fit the standard stuff that comes with the torch.

Ooo thanks Dennis. That might be a good solution for now. Just been looking at oxycon units! wow! £££££

Yes, I know several on here have them but as the oxygen bottles last for ages Im not sure why ?
    Idk, maybe its dearer in the UK, ours was about £30 and hasn't even dropped after being used most days for about a year now.

Cost is an issue, but it's also coupled to the sheer aggro of sourcing O2 bottles. Most of the time it's on contract, the contract costs a fortune and BOC are a PITA to deal with. You can get them rent-free as well, but it's usually only relatively small cylinders at low pressures (Hobbyweld, for example).
    It's not one I'd want indoors either - that & acetylene are the 2 (generally available) gases that bother me the most from a safety POV.