Thread: Vermiculite soldering board

Default Vermiculite soldering board

I brought a vermiculite board from cookson which is 30cm x 32cm i haven't been able to find a baking sheet big enough to put under it. Would it be best to cut it in half? Also i bought a book on soldering and the author regularing digs slots and holes into her kiln brick to prop up items can i do that with the vermiculate?

I use a firebrick to solder on and as for propping up items have you seen the advantages of using titanium soldering clamps, the strips are available from Cookson;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...lam&channel=uk

This is my soldering set up, I made the rotating tray from brass sheet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 Workbench 2009.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	10901

These shows soldering clamps in use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	10902 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	10903 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24 T clamps in use, script page.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	10904

Yes, James' clamps are very god, but while you are considering them:

I dont think you need anything under that board as it insulates pretty well.
    Unless you find your board inconveniently large I should keep it whole to protect your table top.
    However if you are making grooves or holes, it is best to use additional blocks for that and leave your board intact.
    All soldering blocks and firebricks are easily bored and grooved with hand tools, such as a pointy knife. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Using A Hole In Your Block.jpg   sb Using The Hole in your block 2..jpg   sb Using The Hole In Your Block 3.jpg  

Thanks James and Dennis, I will leave my board intact. The good thing about titanium clamps is they go very pretty colours, yeay! I noticed putting my item on the vermiculite that it takes longer to heat than when it's in the air. Is that the standard surface people use for most soldering rather than something that deflects the heat back onto the item like a charcoal block?

I use a standard soldering block for most flat joins but have a charcoal block for soldering pieces when I want to avoid any fire scale (although that makes me smell like a bonfire) and a magnesia block which I use for soldering earring pins, multiple joins and awkward angles as it is soft enough to embed items in to create the perfect join.

Ceri.

Thanks ceri, even what soldering surface to use is a crazy multitude of options. it's hard to work out what you need when you're a beginner,
    sheen